Vault Client for 2 versions of Vault on same PC?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tjruska

Vault Client for 2 versions of Vault on same PC?

Post by tjruska » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:16 am

I am in the process of upgrading from v3.5.3 to v.4.1. We are using VS 2008 SP1 and I need to have developers test against the new version of Vault and the IDE integration while still have the ability to easily switch back to v3.5.3 for normal production development. We are using the Classic Client for now. I do see a registry setting which tells VS which client to use however I don't see the same dll in the new binary library for v4.1.4. I was hoping for a quick registry trick to swap client integration with VS. Suggestions? Do I have to have them rename the current C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client folder to something like C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client v3.5.3 and then install the new client? And then to switch back and forth between clients would be a folder rename or is there more to it?

Tom

Beth

Re: Vault Client for 2 versions of Vault on same PC?

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Just to let you know ahead of time, this isn't a supported configuration. I can't guarantee functionality this way.

When a person installs 2 clients, the last one installed typically gets the IDE integration. Bindings are hard coded into the .sln and .proj files and there are registry keys to consider.

You might be able to use Vault in the manner you described if you only used the Classic Client for 3.5 and only the Enhanced Client for 4.1 I think a user had some success that way. After you rename the 3.5 install folder, you need to go into the registry, find the SCC keys that list Vault. After installing 4.1.4, you will go to those keys and give them the new path for the previous Vault install. You won't change any integration keys for the enhanced client.

Also, don't bind the same projects to different clients. Make sure that is separate.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tjruska

Post by tjruska » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:35 am

Thanks for the heads up!

So going forwards, is using the Enhanced Client the preferred or recommended way to use with VS 2008? Or is it a matter or personal preference? If so, that would dictate our testing approach to limit it to those developers with access to multiple machines on their desks. One for testing the new version and the other for normal daily activities.

Tom

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:03 am

It ends up being personal preference for most. The Enhanced Client offers some nice features, but is a pickier on a few things. The one thing you can't do is mix and match on the same project. By that I mean you can't have something controlled by both the Enhanced and the Classic Client. All users have to use one or the other on that particular solution. If you have a solution that has no connection to any other, then that one can be set to use Enhanced, while other non-related solutions can use the Classic, but all users have to use it in the same fashion.

You may find these two KB articles helpful in your decision.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support