VSS db to Vault db sizes

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jstarbird

VSS db to Vault db sizes

Post by jstarbird » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:12 pm

I am about to begin evaluating Vault for our company and was looking for a bit of info to establish system requirements. I've seen the standard system reqs but this is about db sizes in particular.
Is there a approx ratio of db sizes between VSS to Vault? For example one of our VSS db's is approx 6gb, and yes that is trimmed down, so would it be bigger/smaller in Vault?
Also I saw another post about Vault performance being impacted with larger db's, is there a recommend db size limit for Vault?

Thanks,
J

Beth

Re: VSS db to Vault db sizes

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:17 pm

The Vault database will be larger than the VSS database. How much larger varies from database to database and what kind of structures you have in your VSS database. How performance is varies between company to company as well. Two companies of the same size with the same size database will end up with different performance due to the equipment used, the setup of that equipment, and the network, and how Vault is actually used. I wouldn't say there is a "recommended" database size. I have users with 250 GB databases even.

A 6 GB VSS database shouldn't cause any problems for Vault at all in terms of its size.

Important articles to review for optimal performance will be:
Recommendations for optimal Vault performance
Maintenance: The Vault Server database
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jstarbird

Post by jstarbird » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:46 pm

I did figure hardware would have impact of course but it's good to know it's more hardware than Vault. That was my concern.

Thanks,
J

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:07 pm

There are settings that can make a lot of difference as well, so be sure to check out the KB articles. If you have any problems, feel free to contact us.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support