Add Files

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jdulaney

Add Files

Post by jdulaney » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:06 am

I'm using version 2.0.2 of Vault. This is probably a stupid question. But I'm looking for a way to have vault automatically detected 'Added' folders/files. It currently provides me with a list of files that have been editted (so that I can commit them). However, the only way that I know to post net additional files is to go through each individual folder & subfolder and click the 'Add' button to see if anything appears in order to be added... If it was automatically detected (with the editted) files then I could put entire list of changes in the same commit scope. I'm doing my updates outside the Visual Studio IDE's (in fact the project is a Delphi project). Any help here would be appreciated....

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:26 pm

This is a very common feature request. We do plan to do this, and we'll add your name to the request.

cdaniel

Post by cdaniel » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:29 pm

IMO, this would be a great new feature. As is, the Pending Changes pane is nearly perfect - if new files & folders showed up there are well it would be awesome. Of course, new has to mean NEW, not simply "not in the repository". Once I'd told vault 'no, I don't want to add this file', I wouldn't want it to show up again. As with Add Files in general, new files that show up as pending changes should be subject to any add-file filters that the user has defined (assuming that the add-files filter feature gets added, that is).
-cd

arden_dan

Post by arden_dan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:56 am

I'd like to add my name to this list too..

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:09 am

Will do.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:36 pm

Thinking about this a little more: Automatically adding new files to the pending change set is a great idea, but it suffers from a fatal flaw: Vault has to be running in order for it to know that a new file has just been added to a working folder.

It is possible of course to scan working folders on startup for new entries, but the problem there is that we would then need to keep a list in the client state files of which files in the working folder have already been rejected as possible added files (so we don't keep asking whether you want to add the same ones repeatedly). Plus, working folder scanning can be extremely slow when there are a lot of working folders defined.

So, this particular problem looks like a longer term issue. In the short term, I think we are heading in the direction of a command that makes it very easy to find and add files that are in your working folders that don't exist in the repository (and that don't match exclusion rules/types). The command will make it easy to do this, but it won't automatically warn you that you need to do it when new files show up.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:04 pm

dan wrote:Thinking about this a little more: Automatically adding new files to the pending change set is a great idea, but it suffers from a fatal flaw: Vault has to be running in order for it to know that a new file has just been added to a working folder.
There is 2 ways to do that, and you guys better do both :) One like StarTeam (which superior in usability over VSS or SG Vault, IMHO) - in main files list (left-top listview) add "Not Added" to list of states like Old, Edited (and use colorizing for better visual difference). Of cause, provide filter to sort-out some extensions.
Second, add it to search status options and let user choose to search with filter or without.
BTW, if you guys did open sources for client, I would write it by myself looong time ago :)