Vault extremly slow opening project in Visual Studio 2008

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

BradleyUffner

Vault extremly slow opening project in Visual Studio 2008

Post by BradleyUffner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 pm

Several developers, including myself are experiencing some serious delays loading a solution in Visual Studio when using Vault. Visual Studio becomes totally unresponsive, and looks as though it has crashed. but after waiting for about 20 minutes it will unlock and work normally. After several days of trying to track down the problem, i've narroed it down to Vault. If I start up Fiddler (a web debugging proxy that lets me see web requests live) i can see vault making well over 800 requests to VaultService.asmx. It looks like its sending one request for each file in the solution, and VS hangs while this process is going on. Users working over VPN are seriously affected by this.

The 800+ requests look like the following:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Header><VaultAuth xmlns="http://www.sourcegear.com/schemas/vault"><Token>1146ed8e-6c11-4aa2-b9d1-98b6c4ea7895d1wLilXymfcnNbg0YgKSTQ==</Token></VaultAuth></soap:Header><soap:Body><GetCheckOutListChanges xmlns="http://www.sourcegear.com/schemas/vault"><nRepID>12</nRepID><nCheckoutListRevision>21037</nCheckoutListRevision><dtLastLockDate><Ticks>583644240000000000</Ticks></dtLastLockDate></GetCheckOutListChanges></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
for each of the files, with only some ID numbers changing.

This doesn't seem to be happening for every developer, only a few of us, and it only recently started about a week ago. I can't find any configuration differences between those that work fine, and those with the problem. I have tried using the vault client to manually clear the client cache, and ive manually deleted the cache directories using explorer to no effect.

The delay is happening with the latest 5.0 build released today, thought they also happened with the 4.1 version previous to this. All developers are using Vista Premium x64, with VS 2008 SP1 using the Vault Enhanced Client.

Any help you can give us in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Beth

Re: Vault extremly slow opening project in Visual Studio 2008

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Are there high numbers of check-outs?

Are you using Folder Security?

Are the users with the slowness in the same or different location?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:27 pm

This happens regardless of the number of checked out files, It's happening reliably for me with no files checked out, 1 file checked out, or all files checked out.

Repository settings are as follows:
Require exclusive locks: checked
Require Check in comments: checked
Bug tracking app: none
Enabled folder security: not checked

the users are in different locations. We currently have 4 developers, 2 of which are having the problem.
I have having the problem, and am on the same local network as teh vault server.
Another user who is having the problem is access vault though a VPN connection over the internet.
The remaining 2 developers are accessing vault through the VPN, and are NOT experiencing this problem.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Could you turn on Vault client logging and send the log to us?
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Sorry about the delay, but the problem seems to have stopped. I've been trying to reproduce it this weekend without any luck. All developers are now working properly.
I'f it starts up again I'll send you a log.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 am

Thank you for the update.
Beth Kieler

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:48 pm

The problem just started back up, and I captured a log file for you this time. A quick looks shows a TON of errors in the log file, so it should make for interesting reading.

Log File attached.

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Log file is 4mb, forum only accepts up to 2mb. How would you like me to get the log to you?

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:03 pm

I just noticed that the log file contained some stale data from a previous debugging attampt. I trimmed the folder down to only Today's event and it's now jsut under the 2mb limit. Hopefully it'll upload this time.

At the time this happened there were only 4 files checked out by another user.
Attachments
VaultVsipClient2008.txt
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 248 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:33 am

Could I have you also place your Vault server logging into debug mode? That is done on the admin web page under the logging link. It will disconnect everyone for about a minute, so you may want to perform it at a convenient time when no one is moving information between the server and their client.

If your server log is already in debug mode, then could I have the part of the log that covers August 5th?

Are there any particular actions that are slower than others?
Beth Kieler

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:49 am

I'll see about getting that server log for you.

The slowness only seems to happen on opening the Solution file. Once it's open, checkin / checkout / get latest all happen at thier normal speed. And there are no problems using the standalone GUI Client.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:31 am

Bradley,

Our records indicate that you have 5.0 licenses for all of your users. We rewrote the method that is causing the unnecessary refreshes in 5.0, so at the moment, I think that the best advice is to have you upgrade and report back if the problem persists.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:24 am

We are currently using the latest version of 5. This same issue was happing in 4, so I upgraded to 5 when it was released hoping it would fix the problem, but it didn't change anyting.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 am

I think we found the cause of this. You can download a build with a fix here. This is a Vault 5.0.1 build that works only with a Vault 5 server.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:06 am

I havent seen any reports of the problem happening again since updating to this version of the client.