Handoff questions

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jstarbird

Handoff questions

Post by jstarbird » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Version 5.0.

While the Handoff is running I know I cannot navigate away from the screen but can I open another browser instance, either on the same machine or a different one, and log in as Admin again without interfering with the Handoff?

Also, once the Handoff is complete how is PIN or Get from an old version handled? If at all.

Thanks,
J

jeremy_sg

Re: Handoff questions

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 am

You should be fine opening a new window or tab, as long as you don't start another Handoff.

As for pins and gets, if an item is pinned in VSS when the Handoff is performed, we bring over two versions of that file, the pinned version and the latest version (so that an unpin in Vault behaves correctly).
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

jstarbird

Post by jstarbird » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks for that info. What about if someone were to want to Pin a file after the handoff?

Thanks,
J

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:41 pm

You can't pin to a version that isn't in Vault, so if the version you want to pin to wasn't included in Vault, here's the workaround I would use:

1. Set a working folder in Vault. Get Latest, and Check Out the file. I'll assume that the latest version in Vault is version 6.
2. In the History Dialog diff VSS against my working folder. Copy all the VSS contents into my working folder.
3. Check in a new version (Vault version 7) with the old contents.
You can now pin it to the latest Vault version, or:
4(optional). In the History Dialog, Rollback to the version before I did the checkin. In this example, that's Vault version 6.
5(optional). In the History Dialog, Pin to the version where I checked in the VSS contents (Vault version 7).

If you do steps 4 and 5, that ensures that an unpin will restore the latest version.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog