Visual Studio hang with the Enhanced Client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mikemo

Visual Studio hang with the Enhanced Client

Post by mikemo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 pm

I am using Vault 5.0.1 with Visual Studio 2005 SP1. I am locking up VS when I do the following with the Vault Enhanced Client.

1. Open a source controlled project in VS.
2. Perform a "Get Latest" command from the enhanced client to refresh the workspace.
3. Go to the project workspace folder in Windows Explorer.
4. Select one of the project's source files and make it writable.
5. Make a change to the file in Notepad and save it.
6. Refresh the source control status in VS. The edited file's status correctly changes to "Renegade".
7. Select the file in the VS Solution Explorer and perform a "Get Latest" command from the enhanced client.
8. In the "Get Latest Version" dialog box, select the "Overwrite" radio button, and place a check in the "Prompt for modified files" check box. Press "OK".
9. The "Locally Modified File" dialog box is displayed. Select the "Overwrite" radio button, and press "OK".

VS is now hung. It has to be killed from the Task Manager. If you do not place a check in the "Prompt for modified files" check box from step 8, then the file refreshes correctly and VS does not hang.

The same scenario works fine in the GUI client.

Vault Client 5.0.1.18729, Vault Server 5.0.1.18729

lbauer

Re: Visual Studio hang with the Enhanced Client

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks for the detailed steps. However, I wasn't able to reproduce this.

Does this happen with any project or any type of file you modify this way?

It might help to see client and server logs when this error occurs.

To enable client-side logging in Visual Studio, see this KB article

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1534

You can enable debug server logging in the Admin Web Client under Server Settings->Logging->Log Level. the Vault Server log is called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine.

Reproduce the problem then email the logs zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post. Let me know the time in the logs that you reproduced the error.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ian_sg

Re: Visual Studio hang with the Enhanced Client

Post by ian_sg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 am

For anybody who stumbles on this issue, we did finally reproduce it. Visual Studio freezes when you have the Enhanced Client's toolbar visible and you overwrite a modified file via the prompt dialog during a get latest. The current workaround is to turn off the toolbar. Vault 5.0.2 and Fortress 2.0.2 will have a fix.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear