Can the Vault Databases Be Renamed?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

BA

Can the Vault Databases Be Renamed?

Post by BA » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:02 pm

We currently have 3 instances of Vault. As it is, these sit on separate database servers.

We are trying to determine if these databases can be stored on 1 database server only. One suggestion is to see if the sgvault and sgmaster databases can be renamed so they are unique between Vault instances and can therefore be hosted in 1 server. If this possible? If not, would you have any suggestion on the possibility of hosting multiple vault (instance) databases on a single server?

Thanks.

paulroub

Re: Can the Vault Databases Be Renamed?

Post by paulroub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 am

The Vault databases cannot be renamed.

I'd suggest you use separate SQL Server instances, which will still allow the databases to reside on the same physical server. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 80%29.aspx
Paul Roub
SourceGear

hwapdc

Post by hwapdc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:08 am

Does the answer from SourceGear still apply for Vault Standard version 7.1?
It seems to me you can configure access to databases in the web.config file.
Our company are concidering dividing our SourceGear databases into 3 or more sets. Like
sgMaster1, sgNotify1, sgVault1, sgVaultIndex1
sgMaster2, sgNotify2, sgVault2, sgVaultIndex2
sgMaster3, sgNotify3, sgVault3, sgVaultIndex3
sgMaster4, sgNotify4, sgVault4, sgVaultIndex4

For each set of Vault databases we will have a separete Vault Server (IIS running at seperate Windows Servers)

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:12 am

What you're proposing won't be possible. You can divide up your databases, but then separating them to different servers will make them non-functional. In order for Vault to read a file, it will need the ability to access it's information all the way back to the start. If that data is not on the server, Vault won't be able to get it.

If you need multiple Vault servers, then it would be better to divide them up by the projects they hold. To do this you could use the Vault Folder Export/Import Tool to send projects from the first server to a different Vault server. Or you could set up the database on multiple servers, install a different Vault instance for each copy, and then delete from each copy the projects you don't want on that particular server.

Can you tell me why you want to divide the Vault database up?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

hwapdc

Post by hwapdc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:03 am

In our company, different teams have different needs and methods for testing.
One team uses automatic testing with+20 test programs runs in parallel. The test programs does a lot of get-latest and upload the results to a vault repository. The test-repositories contains large test-databases. The test programs runs all day all night, giving a huge performance impact of the Vault System. The other teams would like to have their own Vault Server. The other teams would like to do an export of their repository and import to their own Vault Server. My question is then, can all these sets of Vault Databases be on the same instance of SQL Server?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 am

Each would need their own SQL Server instance.

If you placed all the SQL instances on the same machine, you might not get that great of a performance improvement, because they will all be competing for the same resources.
Beth Kieler

hwapdc

Post by hwapdc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 am

I'm not sure I understand your answer. Is it correct that I can have multiple sets of Vault Databases at the same instance of MS SQL Server, but you do not recommend it due to performance issues?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 am

You cannot have multiple instances of the Vault database on the same SQL Server. Each needs their own SQL instance.

It's possible to install multiple instances of SQL Server onto one server, then each instance of SQL Server could house a set of Vault databases. This is the one where I don't think you'll get any performance improvement.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 am

One other option not mentioned is that you could try having multiple Vault servers access the same Vault database, but each Vault server only accesses one repository. I'm not sure if this would fit your use case. If it would, then let me know.
Beth Kieler