Best practices for optimal performance

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

Best practices for optimal performance

Post by Lane » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 pm

We seem to have problems with performance when using Vault, and we are wondering if there are some best practices you can recommend to optimize performance.

Here are some of the specifics. I don't know how much of this is relevant, but I'm trying to provide as much background detail as I can.
- Our developers are using Vault 5.0.1.18729 with Visual Studio 2008 and the Enhanced client.
- We require exclusive locks on all repositories
- We have folder security enabled on all repositories (this is something we do not want to change if possible).
- We have 175 repositories.
- We have 42 licensed users, all active.
- Our Vault database is currently about 70GB in size.
- A typical developer workstation is a 2.3 GHz Intel Core 2 with 2GB of RAM.

We are experiencing slowness commonly when working in Visual Studio, especially opening projects or solutions, getting latest, and checking in/checking out large changesets, but slowness occurs sporadically in many different operations.

Can you point us to any documentation on optimizations? For example, files/folders to white list from virus scanning? Caching settings? Database settings? Or anything else?

Thanks!

lbauer

Re: Best practices for optimal performance

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Here's a good place to start:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206

Database maintenance and SQL Server disk defragmentation would be the things I would start with. If you continue to experience slowdowns, let us know and we'll troubleshoot further with server/client logs, etc.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager