Global search

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tjruska

Global search

Post by tjruska » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:41 am

We are on v4.1.4 and I already know that there isn't a global search feature available. However I was wondering what there is (API) or some sample code that someone has written or the actual Vault development team has i.e., powertoy, to do this? Our database has over 100 repositories and I need to inspect every Visual Studio solution and project file to see if it as been converted. We are talking hundreds here. One of our major ones has over 20K sub-items in each branch. There is an effort to convert all solutions from VS 2003 to VS 2008 and they want a monthly progress report. All I need to do is spin thru the database, grab all *.sln and *.proj files and do a get. From there I can manage the rest once I get it down to disk. Do I have to write my own custom code to do this?

All ideas/hints and examples welcomed at this point. Otherwise it will be a manual brute force effort which I would like to avoid.

TIA, Tom

Beth

Re: Global search

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:06 am

Currently, there is only a search inside a repository using the search tab and I'm not aware of any tool created yet by another user.

Our Vault 4.1.4 client API is available here if you wish to use it.

One other thing that could be helpful with this would be shadow folders. The downside is that you won't be able to specify just the .sln and .proj files, but the latest version of the entire folder selected would be reflected in a disk location and then you can search the disk location.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tjruska

Post by tjruska » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:18 pm

I am guessing I will be dusting off my coding skills (or lack of) and using the Vault 4.1.4 client API's! Any code snippets out there that I could leverage to show how to connect, traverse, etc?

Thanks, Tom

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:16 pm

There is section in our forum called Development Tips that deals with the API.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support