Vault and Agile Development Cycle

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ljacedo

Vault and Agile Development Cycle

Post by ljacedo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:46 am

Hi,
We are implementing Agile Development Cycle and we currently have Vault as Source Control system. I wonder if any user has applied “Agile” with Vault. If so, could you post some basic on how you apply Agile with Vault?
Thanks
Luis Acedo

paulroub

Re: Vault and Agile Development Cycle

Post by paulroub » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:42 pm

That's a fairly broad question - "Agile" means different things to different teams.

Are you implementing Scrum, for instance? Kanban? XP?
Paul Roub
SourceGear

ljacedo

Post by ljacedo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:51 pm

1. What I mean with Agile is to implement Scrum as our development process. Scrum is not a development cycle but a process to accomplish changing goals.

2. I have read some documents, where defines multiples branches as solution to apply Agile – Scrum as development process. However, I wonder if any Vault user have come with a practical process and branching to accommodate Vault with Scrum

Weblink: http://www.infoq.com/resource/articles/ ... Q-v1.3.pdf

paulroub

Post by paulroub » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:07 pm

We don't have any papers on using Vault in any particular dev/release strategy. We certainly support a branching model similar to the one in the paper you linked.

Internally, when working on a Scrum-like project, we'd likely use a branch per sprint. In practice, this might mean using the trunk for the active sprint, then branching for legacy/maintenance development; or creating a new branch for each sprint, then merging into the trunk for release.
Paul Roub
SourceGear

ljacedo

Post by ljacedo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:17 pm

That sound like a good idea, and the posted document also give me good ideas on how to set the branches in Vault.

Thanks
Luis Acedo