CRITICAL: Unable to use Enhanced Client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

CRITICAL: Unable to use Enhanced Client

Post by Lane » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:54 pm

I am running VS 2008 SP 1 on Windows XP. We recently upgraded to Vault 5.0.1. Everything was fine.

In an effort to test the performance impact of Vault, I uninstalled the Vault client. When I reinstalled it, I was unable to select the Enhanced Client in the Plug-In Selection Dialog in Visual Studio. It was there in the dropdown, but it was not selectable.

I tried repairing my install of Visual Studio. Twice. I uninstalled the Vault client. Three times. Then I completely uninstalled Visual Studio and reinstalled it. Problem persists.

After reinstalling Visual Studio but before installing the Vault client, I noticed that the dropdown in the Plug-In Selection Dialog still showed the Enhanced Client option. Is it possible that you have a bug in your uninstall program that prevents it from correctly uninstalling the enhanced client?

In any case, I am unable to work on projects using the enhanced client until this is resolved. Please fast-track this.

lbauer

Re: CRITICAL: Unable to use Enhanced Client

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 am

We have other reports of this and have not been able to pinpoint the cause. However running a repair of Visual Studio with administrative rights usually resolves the problem.

First, uninstall the Vault Client.

Next find CMD.exe in the C:\Windows\System32 director. Right click and choose Run as, and run as the machine Administrator.

With the command line, cd to the Visual Studio directory where devenv.exe is. On my machine it was under:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE. At the prompt, type "devenv.exe /setup"

So the command might look like this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE> devenv.exe /setup

This should repair any missing registry entries, etc, with Admin privileges.

Then reinstall the Vault Client.

Another option is to use the Visual Studio installation disk, right-click on devenv.exe and select Run as ->Administrator

Let me know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:20 am

This did not work. In fact, when I followed the instructions you provided, nothing happened.

In any case, our IT dept confirmed that I am an administrator with full rights on my machine, so the previous attempts would have been run under an administrator account.

JustinAtAspen

Post by JustinAtAspen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:00 pm

I had the same problem and their instructions worked for me. Make sure that if you're using Vista or Windows 7 that you right click and "Run as administrator" on cmd.

Here's some more info so you guys can hopefully figure out the problem: I'm running Windows 7 x64.

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:01 pm

As I pointed out at the top of my post, I'm running Windows XP.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 pm

It's possible that there's a configuration that's preventing the plugin from loading.

Try this:

Use a command prompt in the Visual Studio directory where devenv.exe is (usually it's C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE),and run the following command:

devenv /resetskippkgs

This will set Visual Studio to load packages again.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager