can't uninstall vault client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jmagaram

can't uninstall vault client

Post by jmagaram » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:20 pm

I tried to uninstall Vault Client using the Add/Remove Programs section of Control Panel. Seemed to work fine. I left the server installed. I then tried to immediately start Visual Studio and got this error:

Package Load Failure
Package 'SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultVspClient, ... has failed to load properly. Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future?"

I clicked No a few times. After Visual Studio opened, I closed it and rebooted. Got the same error when I started Visual Studio. Clicked Yes this time. Not sure what I did next, exactly, but the Source Control option in Visual Studio is now corrupt. See the attached picture. The "Source Control" tab is missing text but when you select the invisible option you can still see Vault as a source control plug-in. I tried the "devenv /resetskippkgs" option, rebooted, etc. but no improvement. I also deleted the client-side cache (Vault_1 folder) and still no improvement.

How do I fully uninstall Vault Client?
How can I repair Visual Studio to its original state?

Configuration:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Visual Studio 2008 with SP1
SourceGear Vault 5.0.1
Attachments
vaultErrors.png
vault errors
vaultErrors.png (93.6 KiB) Viewed 4850 times

Beth

Re: can't uninstall vault client

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:33 pm

Were you trying to open a particular solution after Vault was uninstalled, or were you just opening VS alone and no solution at all.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jmagaram

Post by jmagaram » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:39 pm

i think i got the error just opening Visual Studio alone, before I had selected a solution. i just tried installing vault client again. this fixed the tools.options menu - everything looked ok. then i uninstalled and rebooted immediately. after reboot, i started up Visual Studio. no error this time, BUT the tools.options still has the invisible "Source Control" tab and the enhanced client (not the basic one) is still a choice for source control provider.

jmagaram

Post by jmagaram » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:37 pm

ran the visual studio 2008 repair wizard. now the tools.options page looks ok - no invisible source control option - but Vault Enhanced Client is still a choice in the source control menu. can't figure out how to uninstall it completely.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Do you have anything bound to that client?

Take a look in your registry under HKEY Local Machine\Software\SourceCodeControlProvider. What is listed there?
Beth Kieler

jmagaram

Post by jmagaram » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:51 pm

i don't understand your question about "anything bound to that client"

there is no key at that location in the registry.

jmagaram

Post by jmagaram » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:56 pm

vault is listed as a source control provider at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\SourceControlProviders\{1ea47954-8515-402d-82d9-b5c332120a8d}

isn't this a bug in the vault uninstaller?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:58 am

I think this is. It looks like the developers are working on a fix for this currently. This should change in a future release. This is specific to only VS 2008 and VS 2010.

F: 15063
Beth Kieler