Label Diff with Command Line Client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jstarbird

Label Diff with Command Line Client

Post by jstarbird » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Vault 5.0.1.18729

I was following the instructions on getting a Label Diff, using the History param, from the Vault.exe but I am finding that it is not giving me a true Diff between labels but instead a History between labels. Is there anyway to get a true Diff of Labels from the Command Line Client? Do I need to use some of the other options to the History param to get an accurate Label Diff?
I know it's different based on using the UI Client's Show Labels and then Diffing the same labels as on the command line and I end up with a fairly large difference between the two outputs.

Also, to add to this, I ran the same History request via the UI client using Show History instead of Show Labels. From the command line I get about 40 lines with the rowlimit option set to zero. Then from UI I get over 1000 lines. So something here doesn't make sense. For each run I used the exact same begin label and end label, recursive setting, and no other filters were used.

Thanks,
J

lbauer

Re: Label Diff with Command Line Client

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:22 pm

The history query does show the transactions which occurred between two labels, and is not specifically a list of differences. You could try running the history query and exclude actions like property change, label, etc. to get better idea of the file changes between labels. I've logged feature request 15137 to be able to diff labels from the command line.

Code: Select all

-excludeactions action,action,...

A comma-separated list of actions that will be excluded from 
the history query. Valid actions to exclude are: 
add, branch, checkin, create, delete, label, move, obliterate, pin, 
propertychange, rename, rollback, share, snapshot, undelete.
We've had several requests for the ability to diff labels and get the resulting files, and are considering implementing this in a future release. Would a feature like this be useful to you?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jstarbird

Re: Label Diff with Command Line Client

Post by jstarbird » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the ability to Diff Labels on the command line with output to standard out or to a file would be very useful so thank you for adding that feature request.

Thanks,
J