Using same working folder for multiple projects

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jstarbird

Using same working folder for multiple projects

Post by jstarbird » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Vault 5.0.2.18753

I did some searching here but didn't find a defintive answer. Is there any plan of adding the ability to assgning the same working folder to multiple Vault folders? We just moved from VSS and this is one of the big requests I'm getting from my users.
This is mainly due to a large documentation repository we have and people preferring to keep the docs they work on in one folder rather than the many subfolders we store them in Vault.
I understand it's a cache issue but thought maybe you might be planning a change to the caching system which could allow this or perhaps an option in the client to allow it for a particular repository for a user.

So is there any plan to address it? Could you also please post a full explanation of that cache issue so that I can explain it clearly to my users.

Thanks,
J

lbauer

Re: Using same working folder for multiple projects

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Is there any plan of adding the ability to assgning the same working folder to multiple Vault folders?
The quick answer is sorry, but no.

When we made the change in Vault 3.5 to limit one repository folder per working folder, a number of users wanted us to change it back, and it was the subject of much debate here at SourceGear.

Using the same working folder for multiple repository folders caused a lot of problems with cache files being out of sync, files being overwritten, the pending change set not recognizing edited files, and other unexpected behavior.

Vault, unlike VSS, keeps track of the state of the files in the working folder. If you look at the file list in VSS, you can't tell whether your file is out of date, modified, or the same version as the database version, unless you do a Diff.

Vault keeps a cache file of the state of the tree, and baselines for the files in each working folder. In many cases, users have files with the same name but different contents in two different repository folders. Then they use the same working folder, a get from one repository folder would overwrite the contents from a different repository folder. Also file status was not correctly reported.

We decided that preventing confusion and data loss more important than maintaining the VSS behavior.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jstarbird

Post by jstarbird » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Linda,
thanks for that info that will help in my replies to "vss had it how come this doesn't" reponses I keep getting.

Thanks,
J

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Glad that helps.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager