Move single repository to a different server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mraming

Move single repository to a different server

Post by mraming » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:08 am

We currently have a Vault 3.0 server installed and are planning to upgrade to vault 5 shortly - we already acquired the Vault 5 licenses last year.
However, we also need to move one of our repositories with all the code that we developed for one of our clients to a server new Vault server that's installed by- and running under the control of that client. We have to make sure that none of the other repositories are made available to them.
What's the best way of accomplishing this?
In Vault 3.0, I don't see an option to backup a single repository or create some kind of export file for a single repository.
The one thing that I can think of is to create a backup of our complete Vault database, restore that on a temporary SqlServer database and Vault installation. In this copy, we then delete all the repositories except for the one we want to move to our client. Then we backup this database and provide it to our client. Does this ensure that none of the data in the other repositories can be accessed or recovered anymore?

Thanks for your help.

Mark Raming
Mark@Eraze.nl

lbauer

Re: Move single repository to a different server

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:32 am

The one thing that I can think of is to create a backup of our complete Vault database, restore that on a temporary SqlServer database and Vault installation. In this copy, we then delete all the repositories except for the one we want to move to our client. Then we backup this database and provide it to our client. Does this ensure that none of the data in the other repositories can be accessed or recovered anymore?
I could use more information. Is the client currently using their own Vault database? Or have they not installed Vault yet but plan to do so?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mraming

Post by mraming » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:37 am

Client will be installing a new Vault 5 server (Could start by installing a vault 3 server first and then upgrading it to Vault 5 after the single repository has been 'imported' if so desired. But they plan on buying Vault 5 licenses.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Folder export/import was not implemented until Vault 3.5, and we've fixed a number of bugs since then. If you're going to do an export, I would recommend doing it with the latest version, Vault 5.0.

If you want to pursue the idea of giving a customer a copy of the database with all your other repositories deleted , that would work as well. Note that the database would contain your user accounts, which they'd need to deactivate.

Whichever route you take, the database would need to be upgraded, either by you or the customer to version 5.0. If you're more familiar with Vault, it might be helpful for you to provide them with an upgraded database.

You can upgrade your current installation or install your 3.0 database to a test server and upgrade there.

Since you are several versions out of date, we recommend upgrading in stages. Please review this before you upgrade:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=11648&

Once you have the 5.0 databases (note that beginning with Vault 4.x, there are two databases, sgvault and sgmaster), you can do a folder export of the repository and give the export file to your client to import. This may take several hours, since the export\import re-creates all the repository history. Also, if you have ever obliterated anything in the repository, that may cause the export to fail, since history has been deleted.

I've given you a lot to think about; let me know if you have further questions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager