VS2010 - Everything is renegade

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gsmalter

VS2010 - Everything is renegade

Post by gsmalter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:33 pm

We just migrated solutions to VS2010. Now one of my developers (the only one to open a solution other than the person who migrated it to begin with) has run into this situation.

He showed me that about half of the files in a particular solution were renegade. We opened up the Vault standalone client and they were indeed renegade. We diffed the files and found that even though they were marked renegade, they weren't actually different in the working folder when compared to the repository. Get latest did not resolve the situation.

I had him do a Get Latest w/ overwrite on the solution folder. This eliminated the renegade status from the Vault standalone client. But, when he opened VS2010, the same files were showing up with a black flag next to them. It's weird - they still checked out fine, and everything worked. The only symptom was the black flag.

I had him close everything and delete his Vault cache, and delete the working folder from his computer. Then he did a fresh get latest. Everything was brand new and looked fine in the Vault client. Then he opened the solution in VS2010 and everything (even more than originally) was marked renegade.

What's going on?
Vault 5.0, Visual Studio 2010, Enhanced Client

Beth

Re: VS2010 - Everything is renegade

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

When you upgrade a solution from a previous version of VS to VS 2010, you will need to either have the files checked out so they can be changed, or unbind the solution entirely, and rebind it afterwards and check in the changes. Files went renegade because they were changed without a check out. A Get would have pulled down the files that were in the old version of VS.

One user should check out the entire solution exclusively, upgrade the solution to VS 2010, and then check in the entire solution again. Then other users can perform an Open From Vault with VS 2010.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:00 pm

There are three reasons that what you describe is not the problem.

1) The Visual Studio migration wizard checks out the files it needs to modify automatically for you, and this works properly.

2) The person experiencing the problem was not the person who migrated the systems. So the fact that the migration wizard modified files on my (the migrator's) machine has no impact on the status of files on some other user's machine.

3) On the affected user's machine (who was merely getting latest on a fully-migrated solution that was completely checked in, just as you suggested), the working folder version and the latest repository version were identical to one another in a diff, so are not renegade by definition. Yet, they appear as renegade.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Have the user then try a fresh 'Open from Vault' to a new blank working folder. The Open from Vault is in VS under File - Vault Source Control. Then let me know the results.
Beth Kieler

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:11 pm

He reports the same results with Open from Vault as with getting latest in the standalone Vault client and opening it from the hard drive.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:57 am

There could be something set differently in the client than in VS. Have the user look at his working folders in Vault. Do they match the new location you opened VS from? If so, have the user refresh his Vault GUI client.

In VS, what icons are next to the files?
Beth Kieler

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 am

We definitely refreshed his Vault client at the time.

The icons in VS are black flags.

Since my initial post, the user has fixed the problem by checking out all the files in each solution and then doing an undo checkout. The super-weird thing is that he had to check out every file EXCEPT the solution file itself. If he did that, VS would ask him to re-migrate when he undid checkout. Even though the repository version he was reverting to was already migrated. Somehow, the VS client was looking two versions back. I have no way of explaining this and no way of reproducing this now. After doing checkout/undo checkout on every file except the solution file, he did it on the solution file alone, and that's how he fixed all of his solutions.

msulis

Post by msulis » Sun May 09, 2010 1:33 am

fwiw, i had some oddities happen with existing VS2008 projects after installing VS2010 alongside my remaining, unchanged VS2008.

When I checked VS2008 Tools>Options>Source Control, the current source control plug-in was set to "SourceGear Fortress Enhanced", so I switched it back to "SourceGear Vault Enhanced" and now all is well. I used to have Fortress, but haven't used it for months, so I'm not sure why installing VS2010 would have changed this setting in VS2008.

Also due to the similarity of the names, I almost passed it by - since I saw "Enhanced". I almost missed that it said "Fortress" instead of "Vault".

Hope this helps someone.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Thank you for the update.
Beth Kieler