Multiple Repositories in Eclipse

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ecobb

Multiple Repositories in Eclipse

Post by ecobb » Tue May 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Is there really no way to connect to more than one repository in Eclipse? I've been searching the forums and reviewing posts hoping to find where this was finally added to Vault, but so far all I've seen is "No". If that's true, I have to say that I am baffled at the fact that this is not allowed. I'm really hoping that it's there and I just haven't figured out how to do it yet. If not, is there any idea as to when/if it will be added?
My work is a game, a very serious game. - M. C. Escher

jeremy_sg

Re: Multiple Repositories in Eclipse

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed May 05, 2010 9:06 am

There really isn't any way of connecting to multiple repositories. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there aren't any plans at the moment to add that capability. All of our Vault clients have this particular limitation.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

ecobb

Post by ecobb » Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks Jeremy.

Do you mind if I ask why multiple repositories are not supported? I'm just curious as it just seems like such an unusual limitation for a source control system. I could actually see this as being a major hindrance in Vault becoming a viable option for larger development teams.

I guess our only option then is to take all of our individual VSS repositories and cram them into one Vault repository so that we can have access to all of our projects?
My work is a game, a very serious game. - M. C. Escher

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed May 05, 2010 10:30 am

The main reason that we've never supported multiple repository connections or multiple server connections is that it doesn't work with atomic commits. In Vault we strive to make sure that when a commit succeeds, it works for all files that are checked in. I'm sure that you can appreciate the need for that, since you're coming from VSS. If we allow multiple connections, then a commit for one might succeed before the commit for the other fails.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog