Undiffable shelf

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gsmalter

Undiffable shelf

Post by gsmalter » Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 am

I'm using shelvesets for code inspections and I was just trying to see the difference between two shelves (let's call them Inspection 3.0 and Inspection 4.0). I've done this successfully before. So, I tell it to do the diff, and in the background, the main Vault window does a gazillion "Downloading file.." "Retrieving file..." operations. But then, instead of showing me the diff, it simply says "Ready" and does nothing else.

Investigating further, I found it was impossible to do even a baseline or working folder diff on the Inspection 4.0 shelf. Doing it on all other shelves worked fine, though.

I ended up having to go to the developer's machine and diff Inspection 3.0 against his working folder. I'd like to not have to do this in the future. What could be causing the one shelf to not be diffable?

Thanks.
Vault 5.0, Visual Studio 2010, Enhanced Client

lbauer

Re: Undiffable shelf

Post by lbauer » Thu May 06, 2010 1:32 pm

So the Diff for this particular shelveset works, but not on your machine? In the Diff tool, look under the View menu. Are all the Diff options checked?

Is there a VaultGUIClient.txt file in your user's temp directory? This is an error log. Does it show any errors at the time you are trying the diff?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Thu May 06, 2010 2:07 pm

No, the diff for the particular shelveset does not work. The reason my workaround worked is because we were diffing an older shelveset (one that worked) against the working folder of his development machine, which just happened to be equivalent to the new (undiffable) shelveset. Diffing the newest shelveset did not work under any circumstances.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 07, 2010 7:03 am

We'd like to see client and server logs from a diff failute.

First, enable debug server logging in the Admin Web Client under Server Settings->Logging->Log Level.

Then enable logging for all events in the Vault GUI Client. Open the Vault GUI Client and hold down the following keys on your keyboard: Control-Alt Shift F12.

Reproduce the problem, then send the logs zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post. Let me know what Vault username was experiencing the error and what time the error occurred so I know where to look for in the logs.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Wed May 12, 2010 3:03 pm

I don't have time to do that at the moment, but there's a good chance it has something to do with the shelf containing file additions and/or renames. (Still, I've had shelves with file additions definitely work before.)