No server was found at the specified URL. EEK! :0

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ray023

No server was found at the specified URL. EEK! :0

Post by ray023 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:48 pm

Decided to ditch my work on the demo server and use the real thing.
I installed* the server as a demo on a Win2k machine here at work. Everything on the server looks like it's working correctly. I can go to the "vault service" web page and it tells me the version of Vault installed. I can go into the Admin Tool and add/remove users, change settings and what not.

What I can't do though is use the client tool. When I put in the server name (the one it tells me to use from http://mysite/vaultservice), I get the following:
Unable to connect to http://mysite/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL..

Is there something I need to start on the server that I don't know about.

Thanks,

--Ray

*This is an off topic discussion, but I had problems this morning installing the server. The reason was b/c I kept putting in the wrong SQL server login (e.g. I did not use 'sa'). Well, each time I failed to put in the right login name, I had to uninstall and then reinstall SourceVault to change the information. Can you change the code or perhaps the install to allow you more chances if you put in the wrong SQL server login. Or perhaps put a "test" button on the SQL server form to ensure you have the right login. Just my 2 cents.

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:13 pm

Is there anything in the Vault server log (usually in c:\windows\temp\sgvault)? If not, the problem could be network or DNS related. Can you load the VaultService.asmx page from the client machine (it's linked from the service's default page)?
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

ray023

no dice...

Post by ray023 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:30 pm

Comments Inline:

Is there anything in the Vault server log
I've attached the log but I've not noticed anything special. Ignore the lines that say where I've logged in. That is from running the client on server itself. In other words, the client connects while on the server but on no other machine. I would then think there would be a network problem, but that leads me to your next question.

If not, the problem could be network or DNS related. Can you load the VaultService.asmx page from the client machine
Yes. I even was able to successfully login via login.aspx. So I can see the machine and can go to certain webpages. I just can't use SourceVault Client.
I also tried connecting via the IP address. No dice there either.... :(

EDIT NOTE:
Attachment option doesn't seem to be working. Here's the log:

Removed to save space since it didn't apply
Last edited by ray023 on Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:43 pm

Are you using a proxy, by any chance? Vault will use the proxy IE is configured to use, but we've had cases of ad-blocking proxies causing problems when SOAP tries to pass through them. Usually the connect error includes an HTTP 417 status code, though.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:50 pm

*This is an off topic discussion, but I had problems this morning installing the server. The reason was b/c I kept putting in the wrong SQL server login (e.g. I did not use 'sa'). Well, each time I failed to put in the right login name, I had to uninstall and then reinstall SourceVault to change the information. Can you change the code or perhaps the install to allow you more chances if you put in the wrong SQL server login. Or perhaps put a "test" button on the SQL server form to ensure you have the right login. Just my 2 cents.
Just to verify: Are you installing 1.2.3, or the 2.0 preview? I believe this problem was fixed in 2.0, but want to verify you are not seeing it there.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:33 am

sterwill wrote:Are you using a proxy, by any chance?
Oi! Yes, that was the problem. Just like it was on Monday*. :oops:
Thanks for your patience. It's been a long week!

The ad-blocking software I'm using is called AdSubtract. Is there any way I can use Source Vault without having to unload this application?

AdSubtract uses port 4444 for the proxy if that helps.

*http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=101

dan wrote:Are you installing 1.2.3, or the 2.0 preview?
I'm using 1.2.3. Glad to hear it's fixed.

ray023

Post by ray023 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:41 am

A couple of more questions for Dan:
When do you expect 2.0 to be released?
Will there be a seamless upgrade from 1.2.3?

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:42 am

I think the problem is that AdSubtract doesn't support all the HTTP 1.1 features that Vault needs to operate correctly. Vault works with other proxies, including Microsoft ISA (doesn't support chunked uploads correctly, so Vault needs a registry setting flipped) and Squid.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC

ray023

Post by ray023 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:55 am

Hi Shaw,

So is that a 'no'?

--Ray

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:26 am

It's a "probably no." :) AdSubtract may be configurable to stop doing what makes Vault not work (or start doing what would make Vault work). I've never used AdSubtract, so I'm not very familiar with its capabilities or configuration. I think it's probably a problem passing authentication headers/cookies or passing all the SOAP.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:56 am

Since AdSubtract is probably not mandated by your network, you could try telling the .Net framework to not go through the system default proxy. Look in you machine.config under the <defaultProxy> section and change

<proxy usesystemdefault="true"/>

to

<proxy usesystemdefault="false"/>

Restart your vault client, and you should be good.

ray023

Post by ray023 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:04 am

8) 8) 8) 8)
That's it!
Thanks!!!!