Random wonky errors

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

Random wonky errors

Post by Lane » Tue May 18, 2010 9:48 am

Using Vault client 5.0.3.18802 and server 5.0.1.18729, yesterday we started receiving random error messages.

For example, just this morning, trying to log into the client, I received an error that there are more active users than licenses (not true); after I dismissed that and tried to log in again, I received an "Invalid password" error (also not true); dismissed that and finally logged in successfully.

Another user got a message stating "Could not apply the delta." And several have gotten the message "Could not lock the repository." Yesterday I was attempting to view history and got a permissions error followed by "Server was unable to process request --> Specified cast is not valid."

Errors occur using the Windows client (on both Windows XP and Windows7) as well as in Visual Studio using the enhanced client (with VS 2008 and VS 2010).

In every case, repeating the same action has eventually succeeded.

We have not made any changes on the server in several months, and have been running 5.0.3 on the client since that build was released.

What could be causing this, and how can we make it stop?

lbauer

Re: Random wonky errors

Post by lbauer » Tue May 18, 2010 11:45 am

Sounds like there are some inconsistencies in the Vault Server in-memory cache. Does restarting Vault Server with an iisreset from a command prompt help?

If not, We'd like to see a copy of the Vault Server log. It's called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine. Send the log zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.

hs: 220197
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Was this ever resolved?

We're experiencing similiar problems...

Occasionally our users will get the "You have more active users than valid licenses. User accounts are disabled until the "admin" user deactivates some users." message.

We're sure we are not exceeding the active users (we have 10 licenses and I would say we rarely use more than 6 at any one time.)

The strange thing is if I try logging in as Admin to see what's what, it gives me Invalid Username or Password messages. then after maybe 5 minutes, everything is working again.

We're running 5.0.3.18802 (client and server) and it does seem to have started happening since we upgraded from 4x.

Regards,

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 pm

The user restarted the Vault Server with an iisreset command from a command prompt, and that appeared to take care of the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:34 pm

The errors have begun again, and this time an iisreset did not resolve them.

In addition to the attached, users randomly get an error indicating that there are more users than licenses. Then they are able to log in if they try again.

I am sending a copy of the log file via email.
Attachments
permissionsError.png
permissionsError.png (15.96 KiB) Viewed 7178 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 am

It appears these errors may have been caused by the SQL Server tempdb running out of disk space.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks. I'll talk to our IT folks and see if we can get that taken care of.

lansmank

Post by lansmank » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:56 am

I'm getting this error now too on a brand new install of Vault to Sql Server 2008. I have two permanent licenses, and two users entered into the system (in addition to the built in admin account). I have to disable one of the two user accounts to not get this message and successfully login in. This is very painful and really needs a resolution. I also get the same error when saving changes in the user settings when logged in to the administrative website as admin.

I have plenty of disk space where the tempdb is located, so that's NOT the issue. I have checked the logs and there is nothing in them that would be of any assistance.

Please help!!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:51 am

I'd suggest we schedule a remote assist session where I can take a closer look. Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda, and we'll set up a time. Please include a link to this forum post.

In the meantime, we'd like to see a copy of the recent Vault Server log. It's called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine. Email that to me as well.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear