Share a Folder, then branch a file

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mchristsen

Share a Folder, then branch a file

Post by mchristsen » Mon May 24, 2010 11:35 am

All

Vault 5.03

I have a trunk folder with the base source code for a project. I then have a series of "Release" folders that contain "shares" of the trunk folder. I am trying to Branch a couple of files that contain individual configs for each release. However, the Branch operation fails because a "share" copy of the file already exists.

Here is the layout below

/App1
app.config

/Client1
App1 [<- share of /App1 ]
app.config [file I want to branch]
/Client2
App1 [<= share of /App1 ]
app.config [file I want to branch]

I want to maintain the overall Folder Share (so new files are automatically included in the ClientX/App1 sub folders, but I want the app.config file to remain seperate with no share links.

How does one achieve this? I have searched the forums and found others have had the same issue, but no resolution was found? I am using the latest version of Vault.

Thanks in advanced
Great product by the way!!

Michael

lbauer

Re: Share a Folder, then branch a file

Post by lbauer » Mon May 24, 2010 4:22 pm

When a folder is shared, all the files are secondarily shared. There's no way to have a non-shared file in a shared folder.

You could have unshared folders with files that are shared, but then you would have to share new files whenever they are added.

Would it be possible to have each web.config file in a different folder that isn't shared? Then when you do your builds, get the files to the proper location in the project hierachy?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mchristsen

Post by mchristsen » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Actually it is not only the app.config file but also the contents of the Properties Folder for a C# WinForms app.

If the files are secondarily shared through file pointers from the folder, then it should not be a stretch to have file pointers to brach copies of files.

As for different folders for specific files, remember, most of the config files from .NET projects are auto generated, so VS decides where they go.

If this is not possible for Vault, I am looking for other people's solutions. I rememebr the old days of SourceSafe that this was possible (albiet not folder sharing in the same way). I also figured the unshared folders and share individual files. I was trying to avoid this, however this seems to be the only solution.

There must be some way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance
Michael.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 26, 2010 3:19 pm

mchristsen wrote: I rememebr the old days of SourceSafe that this was possible (albiet not folder sharing in the same way). I also figured the unshared folders and share individual files. I was trying to avoid this, however this seems to be the only solution.
If you want to try it the SourceSafe way, we have a VSS Share Wizard Powertoy that supports the VSS style of sharing. You can select a folder and the Powertoy creates another folder with all the files shared. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but might be closer than the Vault-style folder share.

http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/powertoys.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager