What about guest licenses?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

apetters

What about guest licenses?

Post by apetters » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:09 pm

Okay - I'm probably stating the obvious now but our dev team really need to switch from VSS to something else since we're based all over Sweden. I've only tested Vault really quick but I like what I've seen so far, gonna do some more testing inside the VS2003 IDE though before taking action.

But we've got a problem with the license model you guys use, since we're a consulting company we often use programmers outside of our own company when the workload is to heavy. If we have to buy one license for each person that may be involved in programming for us it's a "no go" - we would have to buy four times more licenses than we're ever going to use.

Is it possible to buy "guest licenses" or is this simply the same as buying a regular license and then let guest developers use this license?

If we can handle it like this then we're probably gonna buy some 20 licenses for a starter, if that goes well we've got around 400 more developers that may be interested.

Regards
/andrew

apetters

No support for "client license"?

Post by apetters » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:05 pm

Have to add one more question to my previous post...

If we've bought a client license and added it to our own Vault server - if I then want to use another Vault server (say a one at one of our customer) do I really have to buy a new license for USD 400:-?

If this is the case the licensing model actually is kind of costly - we're working with around 20 customers that provides their own versioning control system... If they would have to pay for each new developer that's going to use the vault server I think most customers would look for something else.

I know that v2 is around the corner (any day now) but you have to look over the licensing model - if you would switch to selling "real" client licenses instead of server client licenses 400 dollars seems reasonable.

In my humble opinion you should charge less for the vault client licenses and more for the server, then go for adding collaborative features that you have to buy for each client. The bug tracking system you have for the other products is a great add-on that you can charge each client for, and what about a build system when the new build engine from MS comes out (the one for Whidbey)?

/andrew

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:52 pm

A lot of great feedback. We should restart this conversation tomorrow, because our pricing model is about to change with the release of 2.0 :)

In terms of guest licenses, we don't really have support in the product for tiers of licenses. However, licenses only apply to active users, so if you add a bunch of developers for a short while, then have a different bunch a few months later, you can de-activate the old users, and the new users can use their licenses. You essentially pay for the most number of users you have at any one time, not every user you would ever add to the server.

Feel free to send me email if you want to continue this discussion off line.