Concern about users getting FailDeltaApply

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jstarbird

Concern about users getting FailDeltaApply

Post by jstarbird » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Vault 5.0.2.18753

Some of my remote users have been having trouble checking in/adding files and they get the FailDeltaApply error. These are users who use laptops and so log into Vault from different locales, home and office for example, on the same machine. The files are not very large either.
The most recent time happened today and the server logged the following:
--SSL Disabled VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: FailDeltaApply
--SSL Disabled Uncaught Exception: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Inner Exception: 2001 : FailDeltaApply

Their connections are at a minimum DSL with some on our companies office network in Arizona, our Vault server is in California, and they do connect using a VPN. Anyway, this a big concern as we have a number of users in that office.

Are there some things I could look into to see if we can keep this from happening? I did have them clear their local caches and that did do the trick but it's a bit of hassle since there isn't a way to clear a repository cache from within the client.

Thanks,
J

Beth

Re: Concern about users getting FailDeltaApply

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:34 pm

The most common reason for a FailDeltaApply is due to networking problems, but there have occasionally been other reasons.

When your user check in, are they checking in maybe one file or a few files or many files at once?

Do any of the files they are trying to check in not have a status?

Have your users look at their client-side log found at %username%\local settings\temp\VaultGUIclient.txt (%username%\appdata\local\temp\VaultGUIclient.txt) for errors occurring when they get the FailDeltaApply. If they are getting these errors in Visual Studio instead of Vault there will be another log in the same area called either VaultVSIPclient.txt or VaultIDEclient.txt with the error.

You might also take a look at the Vault Server Log to see if any errors show up there at the same time.

Is it strictly remote users that get these errors?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jstarbird

Post by jstarbird » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Beth wrote: When your user check in, are they checking in maybe one file or a few files or many files at once?
I don't recall for the other times as it was a couple of weeks ago when two users had it happen. For this time though it was only 1 file and it wasn't very large, 409k. Initially the file existed in Vault so he had checked it out and then modified it, then was attempting to check it in. Before he contacted me he even tried deleting the file from Vault and then adding it but that wouldn't even work.
Beth wrote: Have your users look at their client-side log found at %username%\local settings\temp\VaultGUIclient.txt (%username%\appdata\local\temp\VaultGUIclient.txt) for errors occurring when they get the FailDeltaApply. If they are getting these errors in Visual Studio instead of Vault there will be another log in the same area called either VaultVSIPclient.txt or VaultIDEclient.txt with the error.
No, he was using the Vault client and not VS. I've asked him for the log but I'm not sure I caught him today and he's apparently going on vacation until the 14th. So it may be a while. ;-(
I keep forgetting about the client side log so next time this happens that will be the first thing I ask for.

Beth wrote: You might also take a look at the Vault Server Log to see if any errors show up there at the same time.

Is it strictly remote users that get these errors?
Actually what I submitted earlier was from the Server log, I can get you the entire section if you like and email that to you.
So far I've only heard of this issue from my remote users.

Thanks,
J

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 am

Let's do the server log and the client log together.

A log from any user who could show this happening and the Vault server log should be enough initially. You can send the log in an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth). Please include a link to this forum thread if you can.

HS: 220423
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support