Help us save space

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gsmalter

Help us save space

Post by gsmalter » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:00 pm

It's not that our Vault database is too big, it's that it feels like it's way way bigger than it needs to be.

Here are our Vault statistics:

Revisions: 28250
Folders: 1400 (+1172 deleted)
Files: 9208 (+11306 deleted)
Tree Size: 967.81 MB
Disk Space Needed: 1.89 GB
Database Size: 1.18 GB

As you can see, more than half of our files are deleted files. I understand deleted files are compressed, but that only gets you so far.

If there was a feature that let me identify how much space was being taken up by old labels that we don't need (several hundred labels, each with thousands of relationships must be expensive) and by deleted files (especially by deleted binary files, which are useless almost without exception), and eliminate them, I feel like we could cut the database size significantly.

Thank you.
Vault 5.0, Visual Studio 2010, Enhanced Client

Beth

Re: Help us save space

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Can you look on disk to see what the total space of your .mdf and .ldf files are?

Labels take up very little space, but you can delete them if you wish. Under the function Show Labels you can see what you have. If you want to find out how much space it takes, send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread.

To permanently remove files, you would use the Obliterate command in the Vault admin web page. One word of warning on that. We have a tool called the Export/Import tool that relies on a complete history. If you obliterate, there is a good chance that you won't be able to use the Export/Import tool. It doesn't matter where you obliterate in a repository. Most users who obliterate can't use Export/Import. If you don't care about that function, then it's not an issue.

After an obliterate, you won't immediately get the database space back unless you shrink it. Backup the sgvault and sgmaster databases first and then run:
DBCC SHRINKDATABASE ('sgvault')
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support