VS 2010 randomly dropping Vault connection

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

VS 2010 randomly dropping Vault connection

Post by Lane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:34 am

There have been a few reports of users working in VS 2010 and suddenly dropping the binding to Vault. This seems to be happening since users have upgraded to 5.0.4. (We're running server version 5.0.1.18729.) But that might be coincidence, because we are also having some users receiving random server errors. (See my other post: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13538.) It happened once to me, and another user said it happened to him 3 times since upgrading yesterday.

There used to be a "Go On Line" context menu item in Solution Explorer, but it does not seem to be there any more.

So (1) what is causing this to happen, (2) can it get resolved, and (3) when it happens, what should the user do to get back on line?

I did suggest that they uncheck the VS Option "Allow editing of read-only files," which seems to be checked by default. But this is very frustrating.

lbauer

Re: VS 2010 randomly dropping Vault connection

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 pm

We've been dealing online and offline with a number of errors in your log file.

Before we troubleshoot further, I'd recommend upgrading your Vault server to 5.0.4. Just backup your databases, and run the 5.0.4 installer over the existing installation. That way we have a known, tested configuration.

If Go Online is missing, that is definitely a bug. We'll try to reproduce it here.

When the bindings in Visual Studio 2010 are "dropped," what are the symptoms or error messages?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:08 pm

The only symptoms are that when you try to save a file, you get a Visual Studio message (because the file is read-only). And of course the source control icons disappear from Solution Explorer.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Go Online is still available in VS 2010. When you lose your bindings, the menus probably go as well.

The next time this happens, look in Visual Studio under Tools->Options->Source Control->Plugin Selection. What, if anything, is selected?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Yes, sorry, I see that it's there now. I thought it would show up greyed out when I was already on line.

I'm working with my IT department to free up some disk space, and we're going to do some server maintenance and upgrade Vault at 5pm today. I'll let you know what further issues we encounter next week.