Vault makes VS 2010 editor slow?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ThomasH

Vault makes VS 2010 editor slow?

Post by ThomasH » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:32 am

We have performance problems with VS 2010 when typing chars or scrolling in the editor. It is sometimes very very slow. After searching and searching we found one strange solution: starting VS2010 in SafeMode disables loading third party plugins and the only plugin we have installed is vault. Then everything works fine. So this is may be a problem of the interface or of the plugin. Any ideas?
(I've also posted this behaviour to microsoft, there are several forum topics about bad performance at connect.microsoft.com)

Thomas

lbauer

Re: Vault makes VS 2010 editor slow?

Post by lbauer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:42 am

What version of Vault are you using? Are you using the Enhanced or Classic Client for integration?

ThomasH

Post by ThomasH » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Sorry... We are using version 5.0.4.18845 and the enhanced client and not cvs mode. We have some machines where the problem not occurs, although they have the same hardware and the same os(core i7, win 7 32 and/or 64). On two computers we have some delay time when checking out by typing characters in the editor and then two or three refreshs in VS 2010. Are there any switches stored on the server, which can lead to those problems? Switches which are migrated from vault 4.x to 5.x? Something we could test? Is it possible to clear _all_ switches/flags for a user?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 am

We're not sure what might be causing this. You can look in Visual Studio Tools->Options to see how the option settings compare between users who aren't having a problem and users who are.

We haven't had other reports of slowdowns.

Is this a new problem? Were you using a different version of Vault or Visual Studio before with the same projects?

It would be helpful to get some logging to see what's going on. To enable Visual Studio logging in VS 2010, look under Tools->Options->Source Control->Integration Options->Enable diagnostic logging.

Also, enable debug server logging in the Admin Web Client under Server Settings->Logging->Log Level.

The next time you experience slow performance, send us copies of the logs. Indicate the time of the slowdown period and the username so we can find the appropriate spots in the log files.

Send the logs zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ThomasH

Post by ThomasH » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:26 am

I've also reported this to microsoft. They got a log file from us build with the vs performance log tool. If you also want to have this .etl-file, so please tell me. It's about 300 MByte.
The options of all clients are identical. We have no problems with the same vault client, same projects and database connected to vs 2008....

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:58 am

It might be helpful if we did some testing here first, comparing logs using the same project with VS 2008 integrated wtih Vault and then VS 2010.

If the problem is primarily wtih the way VS 2010 interacts with source control, then it probably won't be a simple fix.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

S Kurth

Post by S Kurth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:59 pm

I am also finding that that the Vault VS integration is causing VS2010 to be slow. Virtually any action I take in the IDE (typing a character, clicking on a different line, scrolling, searching for the next instance of a term) inccurs a delay of about a second and causes devenv.exe to max out one core for several seconds.

I found that the problem remains even if I go offline and, further, even if I unbind all my projects. However, with all projects unbound if I then go into Tools | Options | Source Control | Plug-in selection and select "None", VS2010 is suddenly responsive. If I re-select the Vault Enhanced client (even with the projects still unbound and offline), the sluggishness returns.

Two colleagues are not seeing any ill effects using the Vault VS2010 integration. So far I am unable to find what is different between their setup and mine.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:21 am

S Kurth --

Thanks for posting. This slowdowncan be caused if the Vault Enhanced Client toolbar is enabled. We have a bug 15512 logged for this.

I have tried to reproduce this here at SourceGear with a large project, but have not seen a slowdown in performance, with or without the toolbar enabled in VS 2010. So it's possible there are other settings that affect this as well.

What version of Vault are you using? What operating system is your client on?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

S Kurth

Post by S Kurth » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:24 am

We are using Vault 5.0.4 (18845)
I'm on Windows XP SP3.

We have recently migrated our primary solution (144 projects, mixed platforms = ~ 30 C# projects, the rest C++) from VS 2005 to VS 2010.

I have uploaded a couple fragments of the log demonstrating the issue. The status queries in these log excepts were triggered by simply clicking and scrolling in the code window.
Attachments
VaultLogExcept2.txt
(45.83 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
VaultLogExcept.txt
(86.65 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

SonicImaging

Post by SonicImaging » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:18 am

I'm also running into this with vs 2010 and fortress. The toolbar is hidden but it still takes a long time to open files, make edits, close and save etc... doesn't matter if everything is checked out or not. If I turn off the source control in VS then everything runs very fast.

Im using a open source project called http://www.nopcommerce.com/downloads.aspx. They just released version 180 and its doing the exact same thing for myself and another programmer that I work with.

It could be a easy way for you to reproduce the issue

Thanks
-Keith

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:20 am

What operating system is your VS 2010 installed on? I may need the same environment to reproduce the slowdown.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:41 am

I downloaded the nopcommerce projet and have been testing. I was able to reproduce the increased cpu usage when the Enhanced plugin was selected, even though the project is not under source control. Also, I can see slowdowns in scrolling, though this varies. VS 2008 does not exhibit the same behavior.

I've logged bug 15538 to investigate this further and determine a fix.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

SonicImaging

Post by SonicImaging » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:21 am

Hi, Sorry I haven't responded. Ive run it under both a 4gig, windows 7 64bit system and also with 8gigs of ram with the same results.

I'm currently running with source control off in my VS project and just going the source control from the client externally.

Let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks
-Keith

SonicImaging

Post by SonicImaging » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 am

Hi, Any update on this issue? Ive ended up removing Vault from my main Dev system since just with it installed non source projects were completely slowing down. As soon as I remove vault server and the client from my system VS sped up considerably.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:40 pm

We've been doing some in house testing, but no resolution yet. We experienced slowdowns if diagnostic logging was turned on in Visual Studio 2010, but otherwise have not had the types of slowdowns reported by our users.

If you'd like to explore this further, we could schedule a remote assist session where I can take a closer look. Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear