Feature Request: Share File Dialogue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

CoffeeNerd

Feature Request: Share File Dialogue

Post by CoffeeNerd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi,

I'd like to request that the current selected path be added to the Share File Dialogue.

A 'Path' text field component should be added to the dialogue window and should contain the current selected path for each selection made within the tree component, this way if a user is hunting around for the target folder in which to place a share they can easily see where they are currently.

Ideally this text field component would be placed immediately above the tree component in the 'Share File' window.

If the text value is too long for the current visible size of the component then the value within the component could be compressed with [...] in the path (e.g. "$\top_level_folder\[...]\bottom_level_folder") and if this is the case then a ToolTip value should be set that contains the full path without any compression that the user could raise by hovering over the text field component (e.g. hovering over the Path text component would result in a ToolTip being made visible that contained the full path value such as "$\top_level_folder\middle_level_folder\bottom_level_folder").

Thank you very much!
Murray Williams | Starbucks Coffee Company

Beth

Re: Feature Request: Share File Dialogue

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm

I've entered a feature request. Thank you for your feedback on this.

As a temporary work around, the items you selected should still be viewable in the main Vault window if you are using the Vault GUI client. See attached screenshot. In my example, I right-clicked on the file that is highlighted in blue and selected share.

F: 15843
Attachments
file selected.JPG
file selected.JPG (54.87 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

CoffeeNerd

Post by CoffeeNerd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi Beth,

Thank you for your response!

In looking at the work-around you provided and I can see that I missed an important detail in articulating the feature we desire. The goal, from my perspective, would be to show the 'share-to' path that is currently selected in the tree component within the 'share file' window and not the 'share-from' path that is selected in the nav tree of the main Vault GUI window - hopefully the user is clear on where they're sharing from :D.

The problem we've been running into is the tree component in the 'share file' dialogue window is small in comparison to the size of our tree structure and we have several branches that look exactly like another from say level 2 or 3 down so as you scroll through the 'share-to' tree within the 'share file' window its easy to share something to the wrong destination.

If I mis-interpreted your response I apologize.

Thank you again!

-Murray
Murray Williams | Starbucks Coffee Company

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I've updated the description for the feature request with the new description so that it reflects what you really wanted. Thank you for the additional information.

F: 15843
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support