Local Working Folder Issue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dsalter

Local Working Folder Issue

Post by dsalter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:55 pm

We are running Vault Client 5.1. We have migrated our vault DBs from SQL Server 2005 to 2008 (2 different servers). Server A is 2005 and server B is 2008.

Currenlty, both are run in parallel until testing and migration is complete.

When I attach vault client to Server B, I can see the repository and all files. I set my working folder up and exit. When I connect now to Server A, it somehow reflects the change I made to my working folder on server B. These are 2 totally different servers and 2 different DBs (2005 & 2008).

I thought the local working folder settings would be stored on the DB. Am I wrong in this thought? Why would modifying svault settings on Server B affect Server A?

This has me baffled. I hoped to test on Server B, but am worried there are pointers still to Server A in the DB.

lbauer

Re: Local Working Folder Issue

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Vault stores repository and baseline information in a cache on the client machine in the user's local profile directory, generally

Code: Select all

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Sourcegear\Vault_1
or
C:\Documents and Settings\<userprofile>\Local Settings\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1

The cache is in a directory with the name of the repository GUID. The cache maintains information about the state of the tree and working folder settings, as well as baselines.

Since you are connecting to a copy of your database which has the same repository GUIDs, your cache probably showing the last change made.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dsalter

Post by dsalter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Makes sense to me, thanks very much!

dsalter

Post by dsalter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:18 am

It turns out there is still an issue.

Using Vault Client, I connected to Server A - SQL Server 2005 DB. I added a new folder. I feel this new folder should only appear on Server A.

I exit Vault, re-launch it, connect to Server B - SQL Server 2008. This folder added on Server A is on server B.

Something is definitely not right. I believe the DBAs copied the DB from 2005 to 2008 directly. Perhaps a step or two is missing? Any ideas why this is happening?

Does it have to do with the local settings again? Does this mean that even when I log into Server B using the Vault Client, due to the same GUID, I am really pointing to the Server A DB?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:12 am

The cache stores the repository tree. Since the cache thinks you are looking at the same repository (even though you are logging into two different Vault Servers/databases), when you add a folder, your cache has the folder (think of it as a "snapshot" of the folder tree.). So you're looking at the same "snapshot" no matter whether you're on Server A or B.

If you delete or rename the cache, every time you switch between servers, you'll see the "true" tree. Or you could log in as a different user to each server and thus keep the user-based cache files separate.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dsalter

Post by dsalter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks again. When I go tools -> Options -> Local Files -> Cache -> Delete repository cache, the problem went away.

I was worried Server B was somehow pointing to DB on A, but it is not. It is resolved, Thanks!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 pm

You're welcome.

Since you are using Vault in a different way than designed, you are getting unexpected results.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear