diff issue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jschuit

diff issue

Post by jschuit » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:43 pm

I've run into a weird issue while evaluating a test upgrade of our 4.1.4 server to a 64bit server and 5.1.1. Everything went smooth, painless and quick during the install, but when I attempt to perform a diff on a file from a branch (unmodified from branch source in my case) from the history explorer by right-clicking on a single revision I'm getting an error dialog with the following: "Exception of type 'VaultClientOperationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException' was thrown." and "Get latest version failed for $/blah/blah/blah.cpp: Invalid revision number." in the messages window. It doesn't matter which option I choose for the comparison. If I highlight two revisions and then select diff, the diff is displayed as expected.
This does not occur on our "live" server (4.1.4) using the same sequence (unmodified since the backup was made for the new server eval).

btw, I'm using the 5.1.1 client on the 5.1.1 server and the 4.1.4 client on the 4.1.4 server. (different client PCs)

lbauer

Re: diff issue

Post by lbauer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Do any other types of operations generate errors?

When you upgraded, was a copy of the Vault 4.1.4 databases restored to SQL server *before* installing the 5.1.1 Server?

You can check to see if the database has been upgraded with this SQL query:

Code: Select all

Use sgvault
GO
Select * from dbo.tblschemaversions
GO
The schema version should be 5.1.x

If the database was upgraded properly, I'd suggest deleting the cliient-side cache, as it may be out of sync with the database. Close any open clients first.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=11513

Let me know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 am

Hello Linda,

We have just begun testing, so far this is the only issue we've come across.

Yes, I restored the 4.1.4 database to a new SQL server before installing the 5.1.1 server. The schema version is 5.1.0.0 according to the SQL query.

I deleted all of the client side cache but the issue persists.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 pm

I was able to reproduce this. I have learned this is a known bug, and not something specific to your system.
When Vault branches a file, we display the entire history of the file prior to the branch. However, history prior to the branch is not fully accessible. For instance, you can't checkout a version of the branched file prior to the branch.

If you diff from the version created by the branch operation or a more recent version in History Explorer, that should work.

We should either permit this operation or at least provide a more useful error message.

Item 13450
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 am

I understand what you are saying, but I'm confused as to why this is working in 4.1.4 (or is this a known issue for 5.x only?) and why is it working if I highlight the tip (most recent revision) and the previous revision and then select diff and it displays the diff viewer as expected. (as opposed to selecting only the tip, selecting diff and then selecting to diff against the previous version)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 am

This seems to be a new bug.

In Vault 4.1.4, this worked:

Code: Select all

Branch a folder. Right click on one of the secondarily shared files and Show History. Select a historical version, right-click and Select Diff. Choose to diff against the previous version.
These same steps throw an error in Vault 5.1. Not sure what changes caused this, but I'll add this info to the existing bug.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks Linda!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 05, 2011 1:34 pm

You're welcome.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Hans Olav Nymand

Post by Hans Olav Nymand » Thu May 19, 2011 5:14 am

Is there any news on when this bug will be fixed?

Best regards,
Hans Olav Nymand

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 19, 2011 8:53 am

It will be considered for a future release, but we don't have a time frame as yet.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jstarbird

Post by jstarbird » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Just wanted to add our vote for this request to get fixed. It causes a lot of confusion for users, on our main branch they can right click and diff a single file from history view just fine but from a branch it doesn't.

Anyway, please add our vote to get this fixed!

Thanks,
Jon

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:23 am

I've added your vote. Thanks.

F: 13450
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support