hang during import labels?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ancap

hang during import labels?

Post by ancap » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:22 pm

I appear to also have an instance of hung during label import.

Vault 2.04
Windows 2003 server hosting Vault
Windows XP VSS6.0c+hotfix client running 2.04 import
~700M VSS database

Took ~6 hours to prescan, ~25 hours to create/checkin all projects and files. Then it started label import and odd verification/fixing steps on labels, with the progress bar at ~20% and stating 3 days, 15 hours to go. After ~3 hours of various label processing, it hit a point of importing a particular label that it has been stuck on for ~4 hours. Since hitting this label, no UI features such as progress bar or estimated time have updated, though the dialog itself does repaint and can minimize/maximize.

During the project/file import, VSSImport consumed 5-20% CPU and was a major memory hog, consuming ~250-300M physical and 350-350M virtual (exact amounts varied rapidly), causing heavy drive thrashing. I didn't look during the other label import/verify/fix steps what the CPU/mem situation was. Now that it appears hung on this label for hours, VSSImport.exe consumes 0-2% CPU, 11076K physical and 151348K virtual. Minimize/maximize the dialog will make the mem amounts change slightly, otherwise they do not appear to be fluctuating.

I can leave it in this state til Mon. Anything to check to confirm import is hung and if so how to gather more info as to why? Thanks.

Aaron

ancap

Post by ancap » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:22 am

It 'finished' sometime overnight.

Result log has 5 instances of 'Server unavailable for transaction end/Transaction Failed'. Also 'Item xxx caused the transaction to fail: An item with the same name or object id already exists in the selected folder/Transaction failed' - repeated 3 times for each file for a couple dozen files.

The entire rest of the log is of 'Label Imoprt: The label yyy could not be imported because an exception occured' - occurring once each for a couple hundred labels, including 6 before the label it was stuck on last night, that label, and the rest.

Before import, VSS db was initially analyzed and fixed to where analyze would not return any errors. The files and labels in question are accessible via VSS.

Any ideas? Any more logs or info to gather to post mortem this import? Thanks.

Aaron

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:56 am

Aaron,

Because you have several different errors going on, it's going to take a lot of interaction to figure out what is going on. Give me an e-mail with your phone number, and I will call you on Monday.