Suggestion: Obliterate

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

DarrenS

Suggestion: Obliterate

Post by DarrenS » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:01 am

There have been several discussions on here about the performance issue with the Obliterate function in Vault.

We are having that same issue. I know it's on Sourcegear's "to-do" list and I know that Obliterate has a lot of info to delete and has to be careful "not to delete too much", but on our modest sized database, it's unusably slow.

I'd like to make a suggestion. Could Sourcegear provide a stored proc to somehow do the work of Obliterate? It would be used as an alternative to the existing Obliterate functionality. This would have a few advantages:
  • Gets around timeouts from IIS
    Takes load off the web/app server
    Could be done by savvy DBAs
    Probably more efficient all round

DarrenS

Post by DarrenS » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:20 pm

This doesn't seem to have improved any in Vault 3.0. Obliterate takes forever, and a lot of the time seems to fail.

In desperation, we are looking to write our own extension to the command line util so at least we can schedule this for off-hours. I took a quick look at the client API but didn't see anything that looks useful for obliterating. Could someone at Sourcegear give us some pointers as to how we might go about this?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:20 pm

Darren,

It's a good idea to add obliterate to the command line, so I did that for 3.0.6. We don't often encounter people who need to obliterate that much data that often. I hope that that will help you out.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:48 am

Thanks Jeremy. Is there a release date for this version yet?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:17 pm

um...soon.