How do you add to source control when not using the IDE clie

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jim

How do you add to source control when not using the IDE clie

Post by Jim » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:24 am

Hi,

Following many many suggestions from the list about not using the IDE client (thanks Eric) we have migrated one project team to the GUI version while the others remain using the IDE. I'm trying to establish processes for adding new solutions to vault and I'm not sure how you would do it without using the Ide.

The problem is that when you create the new project you end up with a file structure on disk, with some files and folders that need to be added to the repository and some that should not. Right now I delete the bin / obj folders and move all of the user specific files out to a different directory, then add it to the GUI then copy all the user specific files back.

As far as I'm aware the IDE client sorts all this out for you - so is there a best practice approach to adding solutions to repository or is the manual deletions/moves the best way ?

thanks
jim

ericsink

Re: How do you add to source control when not using the IDE

Post by ericsink » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:43 am

Jim wrote:Hi,

Following many many suggestions from the list about not using the IDE client (thanks Eric) we have migrated one project team to the GUI version while the others remain using the IDE. I'm trying to establish processes for adding new solutions to vault and I'm not sure how you would do it without using the Ide.

The problem is that when you create the new project you end up with a file structure on disk, with some files and folders that need to be added to the repository and some that should not. Right now I delete the bin / obj folders and move all of the user specific files out to a different directory, then add it to the GUI then copy all the user specific files back.

As far as I'm aware the IDE client sorts all this out for you - so is there a best practice approach to adding solutions to repository or is the manual deletions/moves the best way ?

thanks
jim
The manual approach is the best way. In fact, I myself find it preferable to letting the IDE "sort all this out". I want full control over what is checked in to my repository, so...

When I do an initial checkin, I start with my build tree and remove everything that isn't supposed to be in the repository. A general guideline is any file that is automatically generated from something else does not belong (no bin, obj, pdb, etc). We obviously checkin VS.NET project and solution files, but not the *.csproj.user file and stuff like that.

After checking everything in, I do a getlatest and grab a fresh copy of the new tree and make sure it builds the way the original did.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:41 am

Thanks Eric, I guess I have to write down for developers what files to add and what to delete before adding, if we say anything autogenerated well loose all of the Assemblyinfo and resx files as well. The thing is the majority of our developers really dont care about the structure of the project or even using source control therefore it has to be very simple.

Weve already had issues because using the GUI means you need to know the structure of your project on disk !???!? In the face of things like this we really need to keep it simple.

I think its probably the difference between a software development company and an IT department in a bank.

Thanks once more for your help
Jim