Visual Studio .NET IDE Integration

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Rachel Lavoie

Visual Studio .NET IDE Integration

Post by Rachel Lavoie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:54 am

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm impressed by the rapidity of your answers and happy of the quality of your support service.

We have the 1.0.3 Vault version and the Visual C++ .NET editing application.

We tried to activate the IDE Integration option and it went like this :

- Both application was opened
- Activate the check box in Vault
- Nothing appened
- Close and re-opened Visual C++ .NET
- A pop up message "An illegal operation force the application to close"
- Re-Open it, No Vault integration, and then realise that some keyboards shortcut has unexpectibly changed...

We often have particular keyboard shortcuts in our environment (we configure it to be confortable), but I'm quite shure it hasn't any link with the problem...

Do you have any idea(s) of what it could be?
Rachel Lavoie
Programmer Analyst
Labtronix R & D

Rachel Lavoie

Post by Rachel Lavoie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:04 am

Sorry about this mistake, Vault version is 2.0.3... :oops:
Rachel Lavoie
Programmer Analyst
Labtronix R & D

dan

Post by dan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:09 am

Does integration work now? I'm not sure why it would lose keyboards - all we do when setting up Vault as the SCC provider is change a registry setting, which VS then picks up the next time it is invoked to decided which SCC provider to use.

Perhaps changing it while VS was running messed up VS, although we've never run across that before, nor have we had any reports about it.

Rachel Lavoie

Post by Rachel Lavoie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:10 pm

(the mistake was only about the version number I wrote in the first message)

Status hasn't change! Still don't work!

I'll give you more details.
I tried it first on my own computer, but my computer configuration isn't the same that the programmers (I'm a temporary Vault tester for the SourceSafe - Vault transfert, check if everything is okay). I even don't have the same Visual Studio application version than they.

The test on my computer was successfull, but the second test (on a programmer computer) wasn't, and that is the trouble I described you.
The applications versions wroten in the first message is programmers's.

About testing again... well I'm kind of scare on programmers computer, I don't want to slow or worse stop production for a while (which is really active)... So I've got to be safe.

Perhaps tests aren't impossible, so to help you most, which specific test(s) would you want me to do and wich data would you want me to collect to be as effective as possible?

Thanks in advance...
Rachel Lavoie
Programmer Analyst
Labtronix R & D

Rachel Lavoie

Post by Rachel Lavoie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:15 pm

Ho! And... I forget...
Perhaps changing it while VS was running messed up VS
That mean it's better close VS before activating the integration...?
(Do you want me to test it that way before any other tests?)

Thanks...
Rachel Lavoie
Programmer Analyst
Labtronix R & D

dan

Post by dan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:34 pm

Yes, exit Visual Studio, then bring up the Vault GUI standalone client, change the setting to make it the default scc provider, and then bring up Visual Studio again, and it should work properly.

On the machine with the problem, you might even try rebooting the computer, but that should not be necessary for a normal case.

Rachel Lavoie

Post by Rachel Lavoie » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:59 am

On the machine with the problem, you might even try rebooting the computer, but that should not be necessary for a normal case
I did exactly this test and still don't work.

I didn't try on other machines because we evaluate that it's not safe enought and programmers can't take the risk.

Do you have something else to suggest?
(a log to check, a patch to try, anything?)
Rachel Lavoie
Programmer Analyst
Labtronix R & D

dan

Post by dan » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:26 pm

I should have asked this earlier: Which version of Visual Studio are you using? And, were you using another SCC provider successfully on that machine prior to switching Vault as the SCC provider?

Rachel Lavoie

Post by Rachel Lavoie » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:01 pm

Configuration of first test machine (when the test worked) :

· Version of Vault : 2.0.3
· Version of Visual STUDIO .NET : 7.1.3088
(installed products : VB, C#, C++, J# and crystal Reports)
· Utilisation of Visual Assist

Configuration of the bugged machine :

· Version of Vault : 2.0.3
· Version of Visual C++ .NET : 7.1.3088
(installed products : C++ only)
· Utilisation of Visual Assist

On both of theses machines, we were using Source Safe before using Vault. However, when we installed Vault, we previously format and reinstall all of our software to be sure setup will be fine. So actually, no default SCC provider is sets on current programers machine (except the bugged one).
Rachel Lavoie
Programmer Analyst
Labtronix R & D

dan

Post by dan » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:49 pm

I would check whether that machine can still work with VSS, to prove that the Visual Studio setup supports SCC integration. Is is possible this version of Visual Studio is a "Standard" rather than a "Professional", since Standard does not support source control.

Does unchecking the option in Vault to not use it as the default source control provider make any difference in the operation in Visual Studio?

Rachel Lavoie

Post by Rachel Lavoie » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:15 am

Is is possible this version of Visual Studio is a "Standard" rather than a "Professional", since Standard does not support source control.
Probably you find the answer of the problem...
Does unchecking the option in Vault to not use it as the default source control provider make any difference in the operation in Visual Studio?
The point is that the integration didn't installed at all, so after the bug, even if we check or uncheck the Vault integration, no change at wall happens in the Visual Studio Intégration.

As I said earlyer, probably it's the problem. We have a standard version for programmers and not a professionnal.

Thanks a lot for your time and your excellent service!!

:D :D :D
Rachel Lavoie
Programmer Analyst
Labtronix R & D

Mike Dimmick

Post by Mike Dimmick » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:05 am

Visual Studio's source control menu options don't work unless SourceSafe is installed. I ran into this problem myself: you must install SourceSafe in order for any SCC integration with the Visual Studio IDE to work.

Once SourceSafe is installed, you should be able to go to the Vault Client's options page and enable Vault as the default SCC provider.

Once this is done, you should check Visual Studio .NET's options under Tools > Options > Source Control > General. Ensure they're what you want: I use the 'Visual SourceSafe' settings group. Despite the name, these are probably the right options for Vault using Vault's default (VSS-style) options. These options control whether you're prompted to check out before editing, for example.