Admin rights does not allow one to edit comments?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tjruska

Admin rights does not allow one to edit comments?

Post by tjruska » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 am

We had a situation in where a developer accidentally checked in code and used quotes in the comments. While this doesn't case an issue with Vault, it caused fits with CCNet. So when I tried to edit the other person's comments to correct it (I am the Admin) imagine my surprise when I couldn't! Is this by design? After some thinking we ended up faking out CCNet by editing the .state file and supplying it with the current date so it didn't pull history. Would the original person be able to correct their own comment?

Client Information
Vault Client Version: 4.1.4.18402
.Net Framework Version: 2.0.50727.5662

I would like to know if there is another work-around but thought an Admin should be able to edit another persons comments.

TIA, Tom

lbauer

Re: Admin rights does not allow one to edit comments?

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:47 pm

So when I tried to edit the other person's comments to correct it (I am the Admin) imagine my surprise when I couldn't! Is this by design?
Yes, this is expected behavior. Although the Admin has control over administrative functions, that account does not override normal source control functionality. So only the user that created the comment can change it.

To change the comment, the user would Show History on the file, right-click on the file version in the version list, and select Details. They would then use the Edit Comment buttom to edit the comment.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager