Get Latest + Modified local copy = Auto-checkout

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jlipp

Get Latest + Modified local copy = Auto-checkout

Post by jlipp » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:34 am

If I modify a local copy of a file, outside of the Visual Studio/Vault environment, typically by copying a file over, I would like to be able to do an auto-checkout on any files in the solution that are modified locally and do not match Vault. How can i do that?

I do a Get-Latest, and set Modified Local Copy = "Do not overwrite", but there is not an option to check out the file during the Get-Latest operation.

I am using Vault Std v5.1.2.

thanks, Jon

Beth

Re: Get Latest + Modified local copy = Auto-checkout

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

There isn't currently an auto-check out feature in the Vault GUI client. What you might consider trying is using the CVS mode where you don't need check outs at all. What would happen then is when you open the Vault client, any files you changed would just show up as edited and be listed in the pending change set and be ready to be checked in.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tsts

Post by tsts » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:21 am

Hello,
is this still the true? We recently ran into the same problem, and would like to have files modified outside of VisualStudio to be checked out automatically. We use version 9.1 of the SourceGear Vault Professional Client.

Greetings.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:36 am

This functionality is not available inside Visual Studio. What files were modified outside of Visual Studio? Are they files related to the project? How are they modified?

There might be a work around with Vault 9.x. You can set a search on the top level repository folder for renegade files and use the search setting to refresh the search on a timely interval. Then it would merely be a matter of selecting and checking out files you wish to have checked out.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

tsts

Post by tsts » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 am

jclausius wrote:This functionality is not available inside Visual Studio. What files were modified outside of Visual Studio? Are they files related to the project? How are they modified?
The files are part of the Project and get modified by an VisualStudio Extension. The extension uses the File.WriteAllText(). It looks like WriteAllText actually does replace the file instead of modifying. Is this the problem? I could change the extension.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 am

The only place that has an auto-check-out is when editing a file inside of Visual Studio with the Vault VS integration being used.

When you are using the default settings in Vault, when a file is edited without a check out, the file takes a status of Renegade. If you need to check in those changes, then you can check out Renegade files and check them in.

If you want the files to automatically pick up a status of edited in the Vault GUI client, then CVS mode is what you will want to use. That setting is in the Tools - Options - Concurrent Development Style. That style doesn't require check outs at all, but is only set on a per user per client install basis. If you only need it set on one machine, you can do that and still have other users work in VSS mode. The file doesn't get checked out though. It would just go to an Edited status.

If you know ahead of time what files will be edited by a particular Visual Studio Extension, then you might want to create a small batch file that uses the the Vault CLC that can be run before using the VS extension you mentioned.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support