Unshelve to a different branch

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

marct

Unshelve to a different branch

Post by marct » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how to make this possible. Let me first explain my usage scenario:
- We currently branch per release (staircase model).
Let's say I was working on a certain long-term project. I initially started my work in v1.0 of the product, so the v1.0 branch of the source code, because this was initially the targeted release for that feature. The feature was sidelined for XY reason, and then pushed back to release 1.1. I had shelved my changes to be able to have my working folder cleaned out of "in progress work" of that unfinished feature. Now I want to continue working on that feature, but would like to "move" my work to branch v1.1. If I go to Unshelve in Vault and select my changeset, it is still tied to branch v1.0. Even from VS2010 pending changes window, it won't unshelve to the opened solution (which is v1.1) but rather check out items in v1.0 branch.

What I have done as a workaround is temporarily set the working folder of $/v1.0 branch to my working folder of v1.1. Then unshelve. Then change back the working folder of $/1.0 to its real location. Now my pending changes show checked out files with a status of "Unmodified". I undo check out on them. Then I switch to the Search tab in Vault client, selecting my $/v1.1 branch, filter on "Any Status" and find the same files now with "Renegade" status. I select them all and right-click them and do "Check out". Now I can resume my work.

This feels unnatural. Any better way of doing this?

Thanks
Marc-Andre

Beth

Re: Unshelve to a different branch

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 pm

The Unshelve feature can only unshelve to a non-working folder if no working folder is set at all. That might be a way to try it.

1) Unset your working folders for the branch and the location you want to unshelve to.
2) Click Unshelve.
3) During the Unshelve process you will be prompted to set a working folder, but there will be an option you can check to unshelve to a non-working folder.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

marct

Post by marct » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:23 pm

That sounds a little easier already. I usually bind the $/ root to a certain folder on my disk and keep everything inherited from there. So then I would need to take out 'everything' as I can only remove working folder from the root, right? I will try that next time I find myself in the same situation.

Also, how about a similar option to override the destination folder upon unshelving? Ideally without needing to first clear out the working folder bindings. Could this be considered for a future release?

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 am

I had a feature request for that functionality that I've added your "vote" to so that the developers know of your interest. Thank you for your feedback.

F: 15298
Beth Kieler

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Add one for me too please. I've wanted to do that myself a couple times.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 am

Got it. Thanks.
Beth Kieler