Vault 6.0/ Visual Studio 2010/ Resharper 7 - SLOW

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

TBastress

Re: Vault 6.0/ Visual Studio 2010/ Resharper 7 - SLOW

Post by TBastress » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 am

Hi,

I am running Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate SP1, ReSharper 6.1, and just upgraded the Vault client to 6.0.1. Studio integration is so slow now that I cannot work while vault is online. I am running a Intel DUO 3 GHZ processor with 8 GB ram. CPU is constantly running over 50% with Vault online now. It takes a full minute to save a change, almost 30 seconds just to open the right click context menu on a file in the solution explorer. It is impossible to work this way. If I open the solution with vault off-line, Visual Studio works great. We are working in Silverlight.

What happened? :(
Last edited by TBastress on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:11 pm

We have had a handful of users report slowdowns in Visual Studio after upgrading to Vault 6.0. We have not been able to reproduce the problem here, so it's been difficult to pin down what's happening, and why only to some users.

We fixed a few bugs in the Visual Studio client, but really, not much changed there.

We're investigating whether this could be a permissions issue or perhaps client-side cache issue.

The first thing you could try would be to run Visual Studio as Administrator. Find devenv.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE, right-click, and select "Run As Administrator." Let me know if that makes any difference.

Also, we'd like information on where your working folders are located -- local drive? Network drive?

Where are the Vault hidden state folders stored (_sgvault)? The path for these is configured in the Vault Client under Tools->Options->Store Working Folder/Baseline Files.

How large is the _sgvault folder?

Is the slowdown worse with web projects (aspx files?). Does project size make a difference?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TBastress

Post by TBastress » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:13 am

Vault offline cpu 4%

Solution with 1 Project
Vault online cpu 6%+
- < 1sec to show context menu
- < 1sec save a modified file

Solution with 14 Projects
Vault online cpu 54%+ (it actually settled back down to 5% after a few minutes but made no difference in very slow Visual Studio performance)
- 14sec to show context menu (once cpu settled down to 5%, right clicking a file to get the context menu caused the cpu to jump to 55% for 14sec until the menu displayed then dropped back down)
- 91sec save a modified file (once cpu settled down to 5%, modifying a file and clicking save caused the cpu to jump to 55% for 80sec until it completed)

Solution with 67 Projects
Vault online cpu 70%+ (does not appear to be settling down)
- 27sec to show context menu (the cpu actually drops from 70% down to 56% until menu is open then jumps back up)
- 141sec to save a modification to a file (the cpu drops from 70% down to 56% until file is saved then jumps back up)

Closing the solution drops the cpu back down to 6%
Running as an administrator made no difference.
Folders with the solutions are located locally on my computer.
The Vault UI client works with no problems and is quite fast.
Vault hidden state folders are stored “In Client Cache Folder” which is set to, “In User Local Settings Folder”.

_sgvault
size: 13.6 GB
files: 199,371
folders: 10,358

Artago

Post by Artago » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Is there any solution for this? VS 2012 is PAINFULLY slow.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

We're still trying to determine what is causing the slowdown. We have not been able to reproduce the problem here. For some teams, only one person experiences the problem.

If you haven't already, Email me at support at sourcegear.com, ATTN: Linda, and will troubleshoot further.
Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Edw

Post by Edw » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:23 am

We are also experiencing that VisualStudio is slow.

VisualStudio responds slowly when editing, opening a context menu, switching tabs, etc. Also when I try to check in a single file it takes a long time to build the change set. The larger the pending change set (even if they belong to a other solution), the slower VisualStudio becomes. Executing the same check in from VaultClient does not have this perfromance issue. Removing all pending changes also removes the performance issue. Also when going to Offline mode the performance is resetted to a normal level.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 am

We are working on a fix for this. We have a special build of the Vault 6 client for you to try.

Email me at support at sourcegear.com, ATTN: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Vault 6.1 was released today. This version includes a fix for the Visual Studio slowdown.

You can download Vault 6.1 from our downloads page:

http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/downloads.html

We'd recommend updating clients and server to take advantage of new features and bug fixes in Vault 6.1. Release notes here:

http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/release ... 6.1.0.html
http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/release ... 6.1.0.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:15 am

Hello

I've upgraded to 6.1 30531, it's much better . But as soon as server connection is lost (that happens when we are on the move), then the GUI is awfully slow again. Every key stroke last .5s

Xavier
Best regards

Xavier

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 am

>>But as soon as server connection is lost (that happens when we are on the move), then the GUI is awfully slow again. Every key stroke last .5s >>

We could use more information. When you say "GUI," do you mean Visual Studio, or the Vault GUI client?

After a connection is lost and you reconnect, you say that Vault is slow. Does it get faster again after some time on the same connection?

Is the server connection lost because you have network problems or because you're on a laptop and move to different connections?

When the connection is lost, the Vault client or Visual Studio needs to rescan all the working folders to check file status. This could slow things down.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear