VS2003 Integration not working after upgrading Vault

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jrogovsky

VS2003 Integration not working after upgrading Vault

Post by jrogovsky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 am

I recently upgraded my Vault Server from 5.1.2 to 6.0.1.

I run a VM with Windows Server 2003 R2 to maintain some .Net 1.1 web apps in VS2003.

After upgrading the Vault client within the VM to 6.0.1, VS2003 integration is broken. The Vault client app itself runs fine but if I try to "open a project from source control" within VS2003 I get the following error: "An error occurred when you attempted to access the source control system. Check installation."

And if I open an existing project that is bound to source control I get this warning: "The project 'xxx' is under source control. An error occurred registering this project with source control. It is recommended that you do not make any changes to this project."

I've done some searching on this forum already and found this thread: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=13252

My registry looks ok and the little SCC Selector tool detects Vault.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue further. Is there a log file generated by VS2003 I can check?

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Like I said, this was working just fine with Vault 5.1.2.

lbauer

Re: VS2003 Integration not working after upgrading Vault

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Vault 6.0 does not support integration with VS 2003. VS 2003 uses the .NET Framework 1.1 and Vault 6.0 Classic Client integration uses the .NET Framework 2.0.

As a workaround it might be possible to get some integration by editing the devenv.exe.config file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE.

Modify the devenv.exe.config file so that the <startup> section targets the .NET 2.0 runtime. It should look like this.

<configuration>
<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
<requiredRuntime version="v2.0.5072"/>
</startup>
<runtime>

We found that this works for C++ projects in VS 2003, generates compiler errors (you can click through them) in VB, and doesn't work for C# due to compiler .dll conflicts. The compiler (build) in VB doesn't work with the 2.0 Framework.

If those limitations prevent you from working, we would suggest unbinding the project from source control. Use the Vault GUI Client for source control operations and continue your development in VS 2003.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jrogovsky

Post by jrogovsky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks. The project is VB.Net/ASP.Net.

After making the config change I was able to open the project as normal but was not able to run it.

I opted to, as you suggested, unbind the project and will use the GUI client to manage source control.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for the update. VS 2003 is more than 10 years old. It's hard to support both new technologies and very old ones, since there are incompatibilities with .NET, etc.

Using the Vault Client for Source Control operations is a good workaround
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jrogovsky

Post by jrogovsky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 pm

I agree. This is the workaround I was hoping for. But I couldn't figure out how to unbind my project.

Your advice to modify the VS2003 config is what allowed me to unbind the project. That allowed me to get back to work.

Thanks again for your help.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 am

You're welcome. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jkp*74

Post by jkp*74 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:02 pm

I have upgraded from vault 5 to vault 7 and didn't realize that this will break integration with VS2003.
Having to check-in / check-out manually from Vault Client GUI poses higher risk of integrity of files in the server being compromised.
Though we have moved to VS2010, I still have customer coming back to us for code modification for VS2003 based project, even after 10 years.
Is there a way to stay integrated for VS2003?

p/s: i had to admit that i missed out http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/documen ... chart.html when i make plan for an upgrade.
Joel
Micro Modular System
http://www.mmsis.com

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri May 09, 2014 12:53 pm

I think the issue is in the .NET framework required. It isn't possible with the stuff the client has to get it to work with the older frameworks that VS 2003 requires.

Using the client shouldn't harm the files in any way. If users want something easier, you could create a batch script using the Vault command-line client that they just click to check in everything. Or if they check in every night, then the batch script could be scheduled on their machines.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support