Vault 2.0 Client not backwards compatible

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bbatchelder

Vault 2.0 Client not backwards compatible

Post by bbatchelder » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:59 pm

Is the Vault 2.0 client not able to speak with pre-2.0 servers? If so, why not? What happens if someone has one customer using Vault 2.0 and another customer using 1.x? Can the clients be installed side-by-side? I don't see how that would work with SCC integration.

Hmmmmmm.

Bryan Batchelder
http://blogs.patchadvisor.com/bryan

bbatchelder

Post by bbatchelder » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:01 pm

Incidentally, I have not had time to check this out fully....just had one of my developers have to re-install the client and he installed the new client mistakenly and got a nasty message that it was the incorrect protocol.

ericsink

Re: Vault 2.0 Client not backwards compatible

Post by ericsink » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:11 pm

bbatchelder wrote:Is the Vault 2.0 client not able to speak with pre-2.0 servers? If so, why not? What happens if someone has one customer using Vault 2.0 and another customer using 1.x? Can the clients be installed side-by-side? I don't see how that would work with SCC integration.

Hmmmmmm.

Bryan Batchelder
http://blogs.patchadvisor.com/bryan
Sorry, Vault 2.0 clients cannot talk to 1.x servers. The primary reason is that there were changes in the protocol. We could have implemented backward-compatibility, but that "feature" didn't make it. :D

I think it is possible to run a Vault 2.0 client and a Vault 1.2.3 client on the same machine, although the installer will try to prevent you from doing it. You need to use msiexec to do an "administrative install", which simply copies the contents of the installer without really doing anything else.

And yes, you are correct, this kind of scenario won't work with IDE integration.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

bbatchelder

Post by bbatchelder » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:32 pm

Oh man, that kinda sucks. Are there any plans to remedy this (in a point release) so the client can talk to both servers?

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:14 pm

bbatchelder wrote:Oh man, that kinda sucks. Are there any plans to remedy this (in a point release) so the client can talk to both servers?
Sorry, there are no plans along these lines. Making a 2.0 client talk to a 1.x server would be rather difficult.

Is there any chance that your 1.x server could be upgraded? This problem is one of the reasons we made the 2.0 upgrade free for all 1.x users. For now, we would rather just bring everybody along with us. Vault has been moving so fast at this stage in its life that it would be quite a challenge to keep backward compatibility along the way.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

bbatchelder

Post by bbatchelder » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:36 pm

Yeah, thats not too big of a deal, just inconvienient on a short term scale.

I would say though that this is the only time you could do this, and a solution will have to be present to allow the latest client to talk to v.Current and v.Last.

Even if it was something like: both clients are installed and if the user selects a profile that specifies the older protocol the older client is launched. Honestly, its not a backwards compatability issue as much as concurrent side-by-side operation (says they guy that knows nothing about your architecture :)