Feature Request: Show "messages" on commit

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mordachai

Feature Request: Show "messages" on commit

Post by Mordachai » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:01 am

One of the things I find disconcerting about vault vs. VSS is that when I commit an action (check in, get latest), I don't see much to indicate if it succeeded or not. Or even anything to tell me if it finished my request.

If I have the 'messages' tab selected, then I do get this information.

How about making an option to auto-select that tab when I commit an action? Then, I do a get-latest, and I see feedback at the bottom as to its progress and success/failure.

lbauer

Re: Feature Request: Show "messages" on commit

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Are you using Visual Studio or the Vault Windows Client?

In Visual Studio, you can dock and pin the Output menu so it shows all transactions in Visual Studio.
If you're not seeing the output menu, enable it in Visual Studio under View->Output. Select VaultPro from the Show Output From: dialog.

If you're using the Vault GUI Client, then there are status messages at the very bottom of the client.

When the client is ready for the next transaction, the status is Ready. When you're in the middle of a transaction, the status is Working. There are also status messages for Checkout, File upload, etc. However, these flash by fairly quickly, aren't as useful as the Output.

I can log a feature request for a confirmation message on commit.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Mordachai wrote:Or even anything to tell me if it finished my request.

If I have the 'messages' tab selected, then I do get this information.
Could you clarify this statement? Do you mean if the "Messages" tab is NOT selected, no information is placed in the "Messages" tab? And conversely, the GUI client displays commit information only if that tab is selected?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Mordachai

Post by Mordachai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 am

Your software is working as you designed. If I don't have messages tab selected, a message is still put there. I just cannot see it.

What I'm requesting is that anytime I do an action which causes a message to be created, that the messages tab be automatically selected, so that I can see the messages produced by my action. (obviously this would need to be a user preference, since it would be a change, and undoubtedly cause a certain % of users to be unhappy with it).

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Vault 7.0, due out later this year will have dockable tabs in the Vault GUI Client, so you can position the Messages pane to be always visible. This is a little different than what you requested, but at least will make messages easy to see.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Mordachai

Post by Mordachai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Cool. Maybe a better idea anyway. I just thought of doing exactly this - like 10 seconds ago - but realized it didn't support docking. Something to look forward to. :)