Change Set Comments

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mickie

Change Set Comments

Post by Mickie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 am

Hi,

I've tried searching through the forum, but cant find the answer to this one!

We use Vault professional 6.1 (recently upgraded from 1.1.4!).
In a repository with 'require check in comments' & 'require Bug ID' options set; when I check out a file, then subsequently check it back again after a change I wish to automatically add a change set comment from the related work item.

When I right click the file and select 'Check In' from the explorer style window, the 'Check In' dialog opens which allows me to select the 'Add Checkin Comment as Item Comment' option; This works great!

However, some users have the 'Auto-commit after each operation' option de-selected. Therefore they try to check in the file from the 'Pending Change Set' area by selecting Commit. This displays the 'Commit' dialog, and although after selecting the relevant work item, the 'Add Commit Comment to Item' doesn't seem to do anything! Therefore the an error message is displayed about CheckIn comments are required! I know that we can just manually type in the comments, but this kind of defeats the object.

I'd appreciate your help

Beth

Re: Change Set Comments

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 am

The 'Add Commit Comment to Item' is supposed to add the comment to the work item. This doesn't negate needing check in comments for the source code.

It sounds like what you want is the work item number to automatically show up as the comment for the source code check in, correct?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Mickie

Post by Mickie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:38 am

Thanks for getting back to me Beth.

Yes please, that is what I would like to see. When you reference a work item from the 'Check In' dialog The Change Set Comment is automatically completed to read (e.g Item:123 - Work Item Description).

I understood that by 'Commiting' the item from the Pending Change Set panel, and attaching a bug, comments would also be pre-attached...

Thanks again

Mick

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:53 am

I've logged the request. Thank you for your feedback.

F: 17004
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support