Can't turn off exclusive locking of files

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gep13

Can't turn off exclusive locking of files

Post by gep13 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:46 am

Hello,

As per the documentation here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=780

I am trying to enable concurrent development from our SourceGear Vault repository. However, even though I have disabled the "Always request exclusive locks" option, I still get an exclusive lock for every file that I check out.

Is there another setting that I need to change?

We are using Vault Standard version 5.1.2.19281.

Thanks

Gary

lbauer

Re: Can't turn off exclusive locking of files

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm

You might have "Require Exclusive Locks" enabled for the entire repository. This setting is in the Admin Web Client under Source Control Repositories->(Repository name). There's a checkbox to require exclusive locks.

If that's not reason you're getting exclusive locks, then perhaps Vault thinks your files are binary. Check your file types against the list of mergeable file types for the repository.

This setting is in the Admin Web Client under Source Control Repositories->(Repository name)->File Types. Add the file extension to the list of Mergeable files.

Let me know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gep13

Post by gep13 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 am

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I don't have access to the Vault Admin pages, but I will check with the main admin and see if they can verify for me. Based on what you have said, I suspect that this will be the issue, as the files in question are text files, so it shouldn't be an issue with the files not being mergable.

Thanks

Gary

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:16 am

Ok. Let us know if you need further assistance.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gep13

Post by gep13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:26 am

lbauer wrote:Ok. Let us know if you need further assistance.
Hello,

I have checked the setting within Vault, and I can confirm that the setting "Require exclusive locks" within the admin section for the repository that I am using is false, i.e. unchecked. The default setting for the vault installation is set to true, i.e. checked, but it has been disabled for all repositories underneath it.

So, I guess I am back to being confused, as to why I am still getting an exclusive lock, both through Visual Studio and Vault Client, or files that should be mergable.

Is there anything else that I can check/try out?

Thanks

Gary

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 am

What are the file extensions of the files that exclusively lock out?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

gep13

Post by gep13 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:51 am

Beth wrote:What are the file extensions of the files that exclusively lock out?
Hello,

I have tried this for a few different files, i.e. *.txt, *.bat, and *.cs. All of which have remained exclusively locked out. I would expect this to happen for files such as *.xls, *.doc, i.e. files that are binary and can't be merged, but for text based files such as *.cs, I would expect that I shouldn't get the exclusive lock, as all the settings indicate that this shouldn't be enabled by default.

Gary

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 am

Can you show me a screenshot of what your check out dialog looks like when you are checking out a file?
Beth Kieler

gep13

Post by gep13 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:02 am

Beth wrote:Can you show me a screenshot of what your check out dialog looks like when you are checking out a file?
Okay, when I went to try to grab the screenshot for you, I was able to get a non-exclusive check out. I honestly don't know why this is now working, as this wasn't working before. I am very confused!

So, this now seems to be working.

On a related note though, is there a reason why I seeing this:
Checkout_Window.png
Checkout_Window.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 16461 times
When trying to checkout a csproj file?

This is a text based file, so I would expect to see a non-exclusive lock option. The same happens on a *.sln file, which is also text based.

Thanks

Gary

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:22 am

It's standard practice to not merge project files and solution files. I've seen a few people get away with adding .csproj to the mergeable file list and merging that one, but I've never seen anyone do it with the .sln. Some old Microsoft documentation I read years ago said the solution could break if you merge a .sln.

We have an explanation posted in this thread: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11385.
Beth Kieler

GregM

Post by GregM » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:46 pm

FYI, I have vcxproj, vcproj, and sln files as mergeable, and generally don't have a problem with them. The xproj files are especially mergeable, since they're just XML, and are actually designed to be hand-written (for MSBuild).

gep13

Post by gep13 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:18 am

Beth wrote:It's standard practice to not merge project files and solution files. I've seen a few people get away with adding .csproj to the mergeable file list and merging that one, but I've never seen anyone do it with the .sln. Some old Microsoft documentation I read years ago said the solution could break if you merge a .sln.

We have an explanation posted in this thread: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11385.
Ah, ok, so you can make them mergagle, that is good to know.

It certainly isn't a nice thing to have to do, i.e. merge a sln or *.csproj file, I have had to do it a number of times, but as long as you are careful, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to do this. I certainly wouldn't want to accept an automatic merge, but doing a 3-way merge with something like WinMerge, or KDiff3, is certainly doable.

Thanks for all the information.

Gary