Client 2.0.0.2083 on Windows 2000 in Virtual PC 2004

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

RGood

Post by RGood » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:09 pm

Client Information
Vault Client Version: 2.0.0.2083
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Service Pack: 4.0
OS Version: 5.0.2195
Total Physical Memory: 163.48 MB
Time Zone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Running in Virtual PC 2004.
Server is vaultpub.sourcegear.com
Using guest account to access Dottext source

When I set the Working Folder to a path that is on a virtual disk within the virtual PC, the client appears to work properly.

However, when I set the Working Folder to a path that is in a Shared Folder, the Vault Client seems to be unable to access the local file under some circumstances.
Shared Folders are a feature of Virtual PC where a folder on the Host system appears as a drive letter in the Virtual machine.
For example, with Working Folder set to a Shared Folder path, I am able to "Get Latest Version", but once I do, the Vault Client shows the status of the files as "Unknown" and the "Local Date" is blank.

Do you anticipate doing testing with Virtual PC (Available from Microsoft as a separate product and via MSDN) and resolving this issue in a future release? If so, can you say at what point you might anticipate a resolution?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:05 pm

To be honest, this has not made it onto our testing radar yet. I'll add it to our feature request list though.

RGood

Post by RGood » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:29 am

Just restarted the virtual machine, and now even with the Working Folder pointed to the virtual disk, I'm seeing Status "Unknown" for all the files in the project.
The working folder exists, and when I right click on a folder in the tree on the left, choosing Working Folder shows me the expected node in the directory tree.
Is there some way I can diagnose this further?

What checking does Vault do to determine the state of the working file?

This is important, because working from a virtual machine, in at least some fashion, is critical to getting one of my clients to consider using Vault instead of SourceSafe.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:54 am

It looks like your state files aren't being saved. Try two things.

1. Set the option to Store Working Folder Information in your working folder.

2. Look for your client cache files. Are they there? Is your working folder association being saved even when you restart the Vault client?

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

RGood

Post by RGood » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:20 pm

1. Option was already set

2. Cache files are there. (under C:\Documents and Settings\user\...)

Working folder association is still there in client when it is restarted.
=====
Deleted all files and folders under the root working folder and did "Get Latest Version" again. This time I am seeing hidden _sgvault folders under all of the working folders. (Prior to deleting the old content, only a few working folders had a hidden _sgvault folder in them.)

Shutting down and restarting the Vault Client, I now see local file date/time. I'll explore further and let you know if this is ok.