projects and files being exclusively locked

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gregch

projects and files being exclusively locked

Post by gregch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:36 pm

I have a repository that is configured in Vault Admin to not require exclusive locks on Visual Studio projects, but it is putting exclusive locks on them any way. The projects and files are not marked read only on my drive.

We want to have multiple users check out common projects without an exclusive lock
What am I missing?

GregM

Re: projects and files being exclusively locked

Post by GregM » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:45 pm

gregch wrote:I have a repository that is configured in Vault Admin to not require exclusive locks on Visual Studio projects
Does this mean that you have the project file extension listed in the mergeable extensions list for that repository? If not, that's what you need to do.

gregch

Post by gregch » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32 am

That was excellent suggestion, and we can merge project file now, but Visual Studio (2012) is not recognizing this setting if we add a new file to a project. If you add a new file to a project, and save, the project will be checked out exclusively. The only way to get around this is to manually check project out in Visual Studio and then uncheck check out exclusively, and then add a new file

I would think the global settings would inform Visual Studio not to check exclusively if just adding a file

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:16 pm

The project files always get checked out when adding a new file to a project. It's ok to add the project files (.csproj, .vbproj, etc.) to the list of mergeable files. After merging those, usually you have to completely close your client (including Visual Studio) and restart it for it to pick up the changes.

Another file that exclusively checks out is the .sln. Unlike the project files, you don't want to merge that file as it tends to break the entire thing. I would recommend not adding the .sln to the list.

If it's still not working right for you, then let me know.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

gregch

Post by gregch » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Do I understand you correctly, that by adding a file to a project, it is checked out exclusively? If that is so, I am sure your designers have a good reason for that, but it does make sense to us and is very cumbersome. If I set the repository not to require exclusive access and include it as a mergeable file, it should check out non-exclusively automatically

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:41 pm

You have it correct. You can add the project file extension to the list of mergeable files and it will no longer check out exclusively, unless you have the option to check out exclusively checked. The thing to remember is after the changes are saved to restart your clients (incl. VS).
Beth Kieler

gregch

Post by gregch » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:27 am

I am sorry, I am not making myself clear.
If I have a project that is not checked out and add a new item, the project will be checked exclusively. The only to prevent that is first to check out the project, and uncheck request exclusive lock in the check out dialog. Also, why is this checked when the project is a mergeable file and the repository is set to not request exclusive locks

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 am

You might have the default in your settings set to always request exclusive check outs. Go to Tools - Options - General and uncheck the exclusive check out option.
Beth Kieler

gregch

Post by gregch » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 am

That was the problem. Thanks for being patient with me

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 am

You're welcome. Thanks for the update.
Beth Kieler