Upgrade Vault 6.01 to 8.0.1 on new server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dbeitz

Upgrade Vault 6.01 to 8.0.1 on new server

Post by dbeitz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Greetings!

I'm currently using Vault 6.0.1 and will be upgrading to Vault 8.0.1. From what I can find on the Vault Standard knowledge base, I think I need to run the Vault 7.x install (I have a Vault 7.2.0 installer), followed by the Vault 8.0.1 installer. Is this correct, or are there intermediate installs I need to run as well?

My second issue is that I am keeping the same SQL server for the database, but am putting the Vault web services on a different web server than before. Following the instructions in the Vault Standard support blog entitled "Upgrading to Vault 7.0", step 4 says that after backing up databases, run the Vault 7 installer "over the existing Vault server installation". Do I need to run the Vault 7 and 8 installs on the existing web server? Or can I disable Vault 6 on the existing web server (stop it in IIS) and then run the Vault 7 and 8 installs on the new web server, specifying the database connection to the existing Vault 6.0.1 database?

Thank you!
Dale Beitz
dbeitz@mha.org
<edited out personal info>

mskrobul

Re: Upgrade Vault 6.01 to 8.0.1 on new server

Post by mskrobul » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

There shouldn't be any other intermediate installs necessary.

You do not need to run the 7 and 8 installers on the existing Vault 6 machine first. You can just backup the databases, uninstall the Vault 6 server (make sure to KEEP your databases when prompted), then install Vault 7 (point to the SQL Server instance where the databases are located) then upgrade to Vault 8.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

dbeitz

Post by dbeitz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 am

Thank you for your response!

I've gone through the upgrade (6.0.1 to 7.2.0 to 8.0.1) on a new web server (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard). On both upgrades, it indicated that it finished the database upgrades, finished the install, and prompted me to login as admin to apply licenses. If I attempt to login to the admin web page with invalid credentials, it re-loads the admin page with the message "Login Failed: The username or password supplied is invalid." If I attempt to login to the admin web page with VALID credentials, it simply reloads the admin page but does not give me the "login failed" message. The different behavior tells me that I am entering valid credentials for the admin login, but for some reason it isn't continuing to the next page where I would enter license keys. It did this after finishing the 7.2.0 install, so I thought I'd continue with the 8.0.1 install and hope that fixed it, but it didn't.

So as it stands, the upgrade seems to be complete but I can't get logged in on the web server as admin to apply the licenses.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!
Dale Beitz
dbeitz@mha.org
517-886-8451

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:10 am

Try clearing your browser cache. There were a lot of web UI changes made since 6.0.1 and your web browser may have old page data.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

dbeitz

Post by dbeitz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 am

That did the trick. Thank you!
Dale

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Thank you for the update!
Jeff Clausius