Debugging "server uses a protocol that is not supported"

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sushant

Debugging "server uses a protocol that is not supported"

Post by sushant » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:47 am

HI team,

Machine environment backdrop:
I am in process of setting up my build server.
The version check details from Vault standard UI client (from build server) gives following info

Version Check: This Vault Standard client is version 7.2.1.265
Version Check: Your Vault Standard server is version 7.2.1.265

I have Cruise control .net (Version : 1.6.7981.1) working along with it on the build m/c.

Problem:
On the build machine, when I use vault client to fetch latest code, it works absolutely fine. But the problem is with the cruise control integration.
Whenever I force a build, it fails to get the latest code since the timestamps are all old, even after taking latest, and even the updated files don't come up in the folder.
And my event viewer is highly spammed with the following error.

[ProjectName] ERROR CruiseControl.NET [(null)] - Vault Standard Login Failed Twice, trying again.: The server uses a protocol that is not supported by this client.

It tries once, twice, thrice....again and again and again spamming the event viewer.

Attempts:
1. I have tried searching for this scenario on internet a lot but no success.
2. Restarted CC net service a lot of times to reset CC.net
3. Ensured vault on server and client is same.

Could you please guide me on this front?

jclausius

Re: Debugging "server uses a protocol that is not supported"

Post by jclausius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:32 am

The protocol not supported usually means there is a version mismatch between a Vault connection's supported protocol vs. the Vault Server.

For your CC.NET server, did you also download, install, and configure the Vault 7.2.1 CC.NET plugin?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

sushant

Post by sushant » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:28 am

jclausius wrote:The protocol not supported usually means there is a version mismatch between a Vault connection's supported protocol vs. the Vault Server.

For your CC.NET server, did you also download, install, and configure the Vault 7.2.1 CC.NET plugin?
Hi Jeff,

I did install the vault 7.2.1 ccnet plugin and there are multiple people working on setting up our server so I'm unsure whether it has been configured or not.
Could you please guide me how to configure it so that I can confirm it?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 am

In the CCNetPlugin download is a ReadMe.txt with instructions. You'll basically just be dumping the .dll files over top of the ones already in place, though make a backup of what you have before overwriting.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

sushant

Post by sushant » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:56 am

Beth wrote:In the CCNetPlugin download is a ReadMe.txt with instructions. You'll basically just be dumping the .dll files over top of the ones already in place, though make a backup of what you have before overwriting.
Hi Beth,

I have overwritten the plugins files again in the server directory and this worked... :D :lol: :P
I had been through the installation instructions mentioned in the readme before as well and placed those plugin files in the installation directory for ccnet.
But this time when I tried again to overwrite the files, it showed me difference in file sizes, which made me wonder that I'd have done something weird with those files that I didn't remember.
But now after rewriting the files, I rebooted the ccnet service and BAMM!!!!! the errors are gone and things are working fine again.
Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it! :)

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:02 am

Thank you for the update. We're happy to hear you are working again.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support