Move Vault 2 database to different server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Scotch

Move Vault 2 database to different server

Post by Scotch » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:59 pm

I'm running a small battery of tests on Vault 2 before I make a purchase recommendation and, so far, just about everything has gone smoothly. I did run into a problem while doing a backup/restore scenerio that has me concerned though.

I installed V2 on a development server, imported a VSS repository, and then backed up the database (actually detached a copy). Then I installed V2 on another server (simulated failure of main server) and tried to restore the database on the new server.

I'm getting the error "The Vault Server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information (FailDBConn)".

It appears that there is some element of Vault's security that ties a database to a specific server install. If this is actually the case, how would V2 handle a server re-install? Do you always have to restore the web site along with the database?

I tried copying all the files from the VaultService directory from the old server to the new server, but the problem still persists. This leads me to believe there are other settings (registry perhaps?) which prevent this.

Besides taking a complete snapshot of the Vault server, is there any use to doing a DB only backup?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:04 pm

When you move a Vault database to another SQL server installation, you need to drop and then recreate the login and db user used by Vault.

See this link for more info:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=24
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Scotch

Post by Scotch » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:23 pm

Thank you for the thread link, that works better than what I was seeing. If I follow those directions though, I can log in with the admin tool, but I get errors when editing users or when loging in via the client.

"Encryption Failure (FailEncryption)" from the client.

"System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: CryptoAPI cryptographic service provider (CSP) for this implementation could not be acquired." from the admin tool when editing a user.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the server several times (keeping the original database), with the same results.

Any ideas?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:28 pm

Try this:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=589#589

(That was just added from an internal knowledge base article - we are in the process of moving them to this site).

Scotch

Post by Scotch » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:52 am

That did it. I deleted the "edb3..." key and it is working fine. In fact, I just put in a purchase req. for 25 licenses.

Good job guys.