Missing dependencies

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mturner

Missing dependencies

Post by mturner » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:55 pm

We have just started using Sourcegear Vault. We have v9.1 server and client, and are using it with Visual Studio 2010 for VB.Net and C#.Net projects.
We selected SourceGear Vault Standard Classic Client in VS2010 as the source control plug-in.
Our client computers are Windows 7 64bit.

I first branched a project in the Vault client.
Then I launched VS2010 and selected File / Source Control / Open from Source Control...
After specifying the branched project, and nominating a local folder, it then creates the local copies of all the project files and attempts to open the project in VS2010.

The first thing that happens after that is a modal dialog box saying "The project you have chosen cannot be correctly opened from source control." There is also a paragraph of text that I couldn't be bothered typing in. If you want to see it, I can send you a screen capture.
The only buttons are OK and Help.
If I click OK it goes ahead and loads the project anyway.
At first all the icons for the files have Explanation marks (warning), but after a few seconds they seem to get replaced with the familiar lock icons. Fair enough, I give it a minute or two to process all the files before doing anything (it is a big solution with three projects and folders containing many classes etc.).

After that if I open a form that has custom controls located elsewhere in the project, instead of showing the form in Design view, it shows the screen saying "To prevent possible data loss before loading the designer, the following errors must be resolved: "
Below that it lists each broken reference it is having trouble resolving.
But all the dependencies are part of the project. If I navigate to the folder in the Solution Explorer containing one of the alleged missing dependencies, the file has one of those Explanation mark icons mentioned above. If I open it, I can see the code, and the icon changes, but attempting to reopen the form still complains of a missing reference.

If I build the project it seems to resolve the references, and I can then open the form in Design view.

Does I need to do that each time a new branch is opened for the first time?

Am I using the tools correctly?

What if I can't build due to some other problem?

Also - we paid for 1 year's support - does that just let us use this forum? Or is there another avenue we can use for support?

Thank you. :)

Beth

Re: Missing dependencies

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:52 am

Phone and email support are available for users who have maintenance or have upgraded to the latest version.

After you make a branch, do you perform a fresh Open from Vault or Open from Source Control?

How are your dependencies added? Are you performing an Add Link?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mturner

Post by mturner » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:27 pm

After the branch in Vault, we perform an Open From Source Control, through the Visual Studio menu.
So yes, after the branch we perform a fresh open from Source Control.

When I say dependencies, in this case, I am referring to User Controls, whose source code is part of the same project. So in the Solution Explorer (in VS2010) for the project, the root contains Windows Forms, and folders. Some of the folders contain code for user controls that are used in the forms. They are all part of the same project, and namespace.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:57 am

If the references are to other projects, then yes you will need to build them in order for Visual Studio to find the DLL it's referencing in the branch.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support