Branching/Snapshots Not working

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

RonGRusk

Branching/Snapshots Not working

Post by RonGRusk » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am

Status message simply states "Item $/MyFolderName caused the transaction to fail: Failure".

Also "Branching" documentation a bit ambiguous....
Will Branching a folder that contains other folders/items that contain "Shares" break those shares?
If so what are my alternatives to preserving the shares in a Versioned Branch?
This is an absolute requirement, otherwise we have to cease using SourceGear Products.
Will "Snapshots" produce the required functionality?

Simple statement of requirement... The Branch/Snapshot has to be able to be the source folder for a WorkingFolder Set so Builds can be accomplished from it, and in our environment we make extensive use of "Shares" to accomplish binaries/includes/libs distribution.

Urgent Request (as though all others weren't :roll: )

Beth

Re: Branching/Snapshots Not working

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:35 am

UPDATED:

When branching, the shares beneath are branched as well if the shares share to outside the branched folder. To get around that you would need to instead delete the branched folders that you really want shared, and create shares. Another option is to share first the entire folder, and branch the pieces you want to become branches. I have a feature request open that I'm currently discussing with developers. I'll make sure to pass this along to them.

If all the shares are shared within the folder that is branched, those should remain. If that is not what you are seeing, let me know.

Snapshots are a pinned share. When an item is pinned, you can't make changes to it. When you remove a pin, it's a share.
The Branch/Snapshot has to be able to be the source folder for a WorkingFolder Set so Builds can be accomplished from it
This is very possible even with the shares.

How many shares do you have in the project you need to branch?

Does what is being shared ever changed?

Do working folders change?

How often do you need new branches?

What are the plans for the branch after you build?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:02 pm

I have another question to add.

Are your shares to each other all contained in the branch? Or is it shared to something outside of the folder you are branching?

F: 19649
Beth Kieler

RonGRusk

Post by RonGRusk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Hello Beth...
In this particular Repo, we essentially have EVERYTHING under "$/MainLine".
All Shares are within this folder, none extend out of it.
A Branch is essentially a Product Version eg: "$/ProducName_##.##.##.##".
We generally build out of mainline.
We apply code patches to Product Branch and build out of it if patches need to be distributed to our customers.

Shares must be maintained in Mainline and within all Branches and are relative only within the Branch/Mainline that they exist in.

Any Idea why I get the error indicated in the first post?... Branching smaller sub-Folders has worked in the past.
Also, is there an upper limit to how many files, or size, of a folder that is to be branched?... In our implementation, 50GB and/or 100,000+ files, wouldn't be unexpected. Our "Vault" Server Database is in excess of 80GB, with about 25 Repositories. Most are relatively small. This particular one is probably 50 GB, by itself, and there is another of about 20GB, or some ratio that results in about 80GB...;)

Not that it has any bearing on the issue, but we use CCNet as our Build Engine. I also don't use your CLI, but rather a DotNet API Shell around your Vault Library Dll's (Don't Ask ;) ).

An example of usage:
BuildServer 1 Working Folder is derived from "$/Mainline".
BuildServer 2 Working Folder is derived from "$/ProductName_##.##.##.## Branch".

Suggestion: It would be cool if you could Branch "$", but that might complicate things ;).

FYI: I would like to break these repositories up over 2 or 3 Servers, but your cost (and the cost of the additional Server Os's) is prohibitive.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:41 am

I would need to take a closer look to see why you received the error. It looks like you have maintenance, so feel free to send an email to support at sourcegear.com with a link to this forum thread.

There isn't a limit on the number of folders or files in a repository, but you get better performance when you use more than one repository. This KB article can explain repository planning: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=5183.

You can have more than one Vault server without additional cost from SourceGear, but you still have the issue with hardward then. Let's talk to see how we can best help you with this.
Beth Kieler