SQL Server Management Studio 2016

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

chipbeaulieu

SQL Server Management Studio 2016

Post by chipbeaulieu » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 am

By default, SSMS 2016 does not support source control. However, MS posted an article to get it working with TFS at: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dat ... udio-ssms/

By following the instructions including comments from users, I was able to get the Source Control option to show up in Tools > Options as in previous versions of SSMS. In the list of Source Control plug-ins, I see Vault Client. However, when I select this option, the list reverts back to the "None" selection. I also tried running SMSS as Administrator as well without success.

Has anyone had success in getting SSMS 2016 to work with Vault Standard?

Beth

Re: SQL Server Management Studio 2016

Post by Beth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:22 am

Thanks for posting about this. I will get digging into this to find a work-around, and will post back if I find anything.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

stanyork

Post by stanyork » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:47 pm

FYI: I just installed SQL 2016 and its Management Studio and discovered the lack of source control support.

So, please count this as a "me too"

stanyork

Post by stanyork » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 pm

This does not seem very promising; Microsoft also plans to remove support for Solution Explorer in a future release.

Refs:

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:05 pm

I see people are finding ways to getting MSSCCI into SSMS 2016 in this thread: https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions ... ent-studio. We haven't tested this and can't offer support for it, but for those who need it, that post might get you started.

This request posted with Microsoft also suggests SSDT as the work around: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer ... ls/2838424. Since integration with Visual Studio is both functional and fully supported, that might be the best route.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 pm

I found another post about ways to get source control back into SSMS 2016: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dat ... udio-ssms/.
Beth Kieler

c17

Post by c17 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Has anyone at all been able to get source control to appear and work in SSMS 17?

I've followed the instructions in the links in the posts above, but they do absolutely nothing.

Does SourceGear plan to address this major gap with an add-in?

Thanks,

C17

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 am

Unfortunately, not much has changed. Back in 2016, Microsoft switched SQL Server Mgt Studio to use the Visual Studio Isolated Shell. In that release of SSMS, Microsoft removed all instances of source code control integration by dropping support for the Microsoft Source Code Control Integration (MSSCCI) API supported by their IDE.

At this time, Microsoft remains steadfast in not making changes to SSMS to add hooks nor support third party source code control integration. Users wanting an integrated experience can look to dbForge from devArt has a SQL Query tool that integrates with Vault. There is also integration with data bound projects within Visual Studio and there may also be limited integration with red-gate's SQL query tool.

Tonya